Re: a wooden coaster in Camden, NJ

Olympic Park Fan <GSiessel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
The "Whoopie" coaster wasn't a coaster in a real sense of the term.
They were a series of undulating ramps that people rode over in their
vintage autos giving the feeling of the hills and dips of a roller
coaster. Several of these rides were built and there were two others in
NJ that I know of; Atlantic City & Woodbridge.

I remember reading about these. For obvious reasons they didn't
succeed in the long run (too many accidents), but I also read that
Harry Traver's Auto Ride (Kennywood's being the last surviving
example, minus the original hills) was a direct descendant of these
rides, with the ride's own vehicles replacing those belonging to the
riders.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros -at- mit dot edu
.