Re: a wooden coaster in Camden, NJ

Olympic Park Fan <GSiessel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
The "Whoopie" coaster wasn't a coaster in a real sense of the term.
They were a series of undulating ramps that people rode over in their
vintage autos giving the feeling of the hills and dips of a roller
coaster. Several of these rides were built and there were two others in
NJ that I know of; Atlantic City & Woodbridge.

I remember reading about these. For obvious reasons they didn't
succeed in the long run (too many accidents), but I also read that
Harry Traver's Auto Ride (Kennywood's being the last surviving
example, minus the original hills) was a direct descendant of these
rides, with the ride's own vehicles replacing those belonging to the
riders.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros -at- mit dot edu

  • Re: Returning after a long time
    ... Burnley so lots of big hills. ... bag (spare tube/repair kit, small tool kit, towel and glucose tablets ... longer rides will rapidly improve. ... I rarely have to get off and push on hills with my fully laden touring bike ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: Comments on new training routine
    ... rides over 250W on rides classified as easy. ... Power calculators are very uncertain if air ... roads around here are quite rough, ... Sure it takes 200km to get to only 1000m, but lots of smaller hills ...
    (rec.bicycles.racing)
  • Re: Bikes
    ... morning we head off with matching bikes and physiques, ... more of the duration going up hills than she does going down hills. ... my rides is spent going uphill as going downhill. ... The distance travelled uphill is precisely equal to the distance travelled downhill ...
    (rec.puzzles)
  • Re: Preparing for hilly ride when you live in flat country
    ... Also try Seabrook bridge ... Wiggins area has a bunch of hills. ... Go to the New Orleans Bicycle ... Club's homepage and there are several routes and group rides you can do ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Comments on new training routine
    ... That suggests an average power on those ... rides over 250W on rides classified as easy. ... roads around here are quite rough, ... Sure it takes 200km to get to only 1000m, but lots of smaller hills ...
    (rec.bicycles.racing)