Re: A Beginners Question

Frank103 wrote:

I would like to buy a portable shortwave radio with a whip antenna but
I've been holding back because I live in an area that gets mediocre
reception on my Sony reciever's FM tuner from stations 20 miles away; so
I'm really paranoid about buying a portable shortwave radio. My homeowners
association doesn't permit outside antennas. Here are several questions:

1. Can someone recommend a portable shortwave radio for under $200US that
works well.?

Sony 7600GR. Try,
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=1627439

2. Can I attach an indoor antenna to improve reception? What brand of
antenna?

Yes, for shortwave a 10-20 foot piece of wire can be used. You do not need
to spend a lot of money to get started. If noise is an issue, google
for 'shielded loop antenna'. You can also buy more expensive antennas. Try,
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant.html

3. I've tried several indoor antennas from Radio Shack to improve my FM
reception and none did anything. Can someone recommend a really powerful
FM indoor antenna?

I doubt anyone really can recommend one that works. However, if the stations
of interest are all in the same direction, you could consider mounting a 5
element yagi antenna for FM in your attic. (If your roof is metal this
probably won't work.) Google for 'fm yagi antenna'.

Thanks in advance.
Frank

  • Re: San Fransiscos Tower
    ... I used a fixed VHF antenna for all the SF stations. ... I was already a TV reception freak in the 1970s. ... UHF - no dice.. ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.antenna)
  • Re: Some antenna information for OTA HDTV
    ... their digital local stations are currently at. ... When an antenna installer ... owners for its poor analog reception. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: OT: Cable TB
    ... A decent tuner card with hardware encoder ... Instead of moving things around I maybe should just spring for a second antenna. ... After repositioning it to get the "pixel noise" out of a PBS station, by soft of pointing it towards a window, we received 28 stations, all with clear reception, including 1 Spanish station, 2 Christian stations, 3 PBS stations, and the major networks. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: What Causes Wildly Fluctuating Reception of DTV Broadcasts of Certain UHF Channels?
    ... plagued with similar fluctuations in signal strength on analog ch. ... I bought a UHF amplifier and large UHF antenna. ... I live where I can always predict reception problems of my favorite ... But other stations are fine. ...
    (sci.engr.television.advanced)
  • Re: Stupid ?????
    ... I am about 90 miles or so from the main stations in the Dallas Ft.Worth area. ... live about 20 miles east of here and had decent OTA reception for several more analog channels from ... an outdoor antenna on the roof is a must. ... All of your digital stations are broadcasting on UHF or upper VHF. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)