Receiver or Transceiver?

I've been looking at buying a SW radio and was wondering if most receivers
offer more bands (frequencies) than transceivers?

I know I would need to have a license if I want to transmit but if I just
want to listen, then a receiver with plenty of band coverage would be nice.

I ask this because I was told that if I bought just a receiver then I would
be wishing I would have bought a transceiver to enjoy SW as a participant.

Then I read that someone new to SW I might be better off buying a receiver
and to see if they would really want to transmit as well.

Thanks for any and all help on this.

  • Re: Receiver or Transceiver?
    ... offer more bands than transceivers? ... I know I would need to have a license if I want to transmit but if I just ... then a receiver with plenty of band coverage would be nice. ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)
  • Re: Best receiver for tropical bands?
    ... I have been thinking about buying a tabletop receiver for shortwave. ... I am mainly interested in tropical bands and 49 mb SW stations, ... I have been reading in some web pages that the Drake r7A perfoms very ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)
  • WJ-8716 review - initial impressions
    ... This is a rack-mount receiver sold ... filter and that hetrodyne is GONE. ... It doesn't officially have passband tuning in the modern sense but it's ... No memories, no bands, no scanning, no nothin'. ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)
  • Re: Phase Shift Measurements and Phase Equalizer
    ... At the receiver end, it is being ... This should eliminate high frequency components ... The transceivers already introduce a slight phase shift, ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: Help: Collins 51S-1 No rx on 1 band
    ... The 55G-1 is pretty rare, and may cost almost as much as the receiver, depending on condition. ... between J13 and J14 and see if that helps. ... All other bands are fine? ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors)