Re: IMAX-2000 mod

On Feb 15, 5:17 am, Bob Dobbs <chupaca...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anybody that uses an IMAX-2000 has probably noticed how the flimsy eight foot
fiberglass top radiator blows around quite a bit in even the slightest breeze,
well, my solution was to replace it with a five foot center loaded metal whip
that originally came as a magnet base antenna from Radio Shack. Like any other
decent radio related product that they ever carried, it's no longer being
stocked. After the top section modification the IMAX is much more rigid in even
strong winds and seems to be as broad banded as before plus the slight reduction
in capture area isn't noticeable.
Here's how it now looks:http://i45.tinypic.com/ddweb.jpg
You might need to rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise.
*note - the other two antennas aren't as close as they appear in this pic..

Huh, fancy meeting you here Bob.;-) That's a killer pic. I definitely
this spring want to get a rotor for my beam and the appropriate type
of coax. I've been reading over the net about this "Penetrator"
antenna. Do you know anything about it - is it all it's cracked up to
be? Would a beam be better IYO?

  • Re: Grounding or Counterpoise Imax 2000
    ... > ground wire, and keep it as short as possible, running it to a COMMON ... > connection in the shack, to which all RF equipment should be connected. ... keeping the antenna as far ... circular polarised beam antenna, you can purchase plans for that as CB ...
    (rec.radio.cb)
  • Re: Vulnerabilities on microwave point-to-point broadcasts
    ... >I'm trying to assess what are the security risks of transmitting data ... there is enough leakage and side lobes around the antenna ... The beam is not that narrow. ... >point-to-point microwave broadcast such as PPTP? ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Quad/ beam for portables activities ?
    ... > is the price but I am not ready to build the antenna myself. ... > I have thus to use the lightest 2-ele quad or a 3-ele beam. ... > My weight being close to 65 kg the weight of this antenna should be of 20 ... > string being 1 to 2m over ground), for sure much higher for the beam. ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.antenna)
  • Re: How far to beam power up a Beanstalk?
    ... >> huge antenna system to form a narrow beam. ... at 8000 miles only a ninth. ...
    (sci.space.policy)
  • Re: Antennas 101 for Androcles
    ... omnidirectional antenna has a gain of 1, ... gets its energy from about 1/1000-th of the sphere. ... The beam from the mirror is very gently diverging. ... the parabola is about 14.9 ...
    (sci.physics)