terryS wrote:
On Jul 11, 10:18 pm, Fred Cameron <fmaxsc*nosp...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I am looking for a 220 volt variac.

Does anyone have such a beast?

Thanks!

Fred
WA4PAV

On the basis that a transformer, In this case a variable tap auto-
transformer, is an electromagnetic device:
Question: Could one not input the variac with say 230 volts instead of
115 volts.
Then at, say, 20% dial setting the output would be 46 volts and at
100% it would be 230 volts. Etc.
As long as the current and total power transformed are within the
ratings of the variac, would it matter?
After all transformers, either those with separate input and output
windings, tapped or untapped, or auto-transformers can be used to step
voltage up/down and so forth.

One could if the 120V variac was seriously over built. The problem is
if the variac was built using normal engineering practices, the turns
ratio would drive the core partially, or fully into saturation at 240V,
and it would at the minimum get very hot, and at the worse case, blow
the breakers.

-Chuck

  • Re: Weird power transformer problem
    ... I'm repairing a sick Tek 1502 TDR. ... I replace the shorted parts and apply power through a variac, ... I have the variac up to about 45 volts AC out of 120 ... Aha, I think, somebody replaced the power transformer with one meant ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Weird power transformer problem
    ... I replace the shorted parts and apply power through a variac, ... I have the variac up to about 45 volts AC out of 120 ... just as it should be for 120 VAC in. ... Aha, I think, somebody replaced the power transformer with one meant ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: 220 volt variac
    ... On the basis that a transformer, In this case a variable tap auto- ... Could one not input the variac with say 230 volts instead of ... ratings of the variac, would it matter? ... Since f, Bmax and A are fixed for a 120 VAC design, applying 240 VAC to the primary will 'fry' the variac and your hand, and pop the circuit breakers for sure. ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors)
  • Re: 220 volt variac
    ... On the basis that a transformer, In this case a variable tap auto- ... Could one not input the variac with say 230 volts instead of ... ratings of the variac, would it matter? ... either those with separate input and output ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors)
  • Re: Can I use a 120V Variac to get 220V?
    ... While one might imagine situations where this technique is ... If your caps don't need reforming, ... current through transformer and bleeeder resistors, ... what voltage do you set the variac too? ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.homebrew)