'modified' skyloop antenna

Due to a small and irregularly shaped lot, I am using Cliff Donley's Hot
Kiss [(see message 2471 Yahoo RX-320 group) (a 33 foot folded dipole w/7
foot matching stub, all made of 300 ohm twinlead, fed with 75 ohm coax
through a standard tv balun)] antenna.

The antenna performs well for HF (receive only). As I also like to listen
to MW and LW broadcasts, I used a long wire (directly connected), passed out
of a window (I'm on the second floor), and run around the house perimeter at
ground level. The total length about 200 feet. The antenna works but is
rather noisy.

I considered installing a skyloop in my attic, but the total length would
only be about 120 feet.

I am asking the resident experts to comment on this idea:
The plan is to run a loop made from 4-conductor telephone station wire
around the attic floor, connecting each end-of wire to a wire of a different
color, therefore amounting to one long wire (about 480 feet) encircling my
attic in four turns. A higher number of conductors could be used if
practical. Also, a matching transformer and coax are options.

As mentioned, this would be for 'receive only'. Would a tuner be necessary?
What would be an optimal length for the loop?

O.K., let me have it. Thanks for any suggestions.

HankG

  • Building a Multi-Element 1/4 Wave Length Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna
    ... The Shortwave Listeners (SWL) AM/FM Antennas Groups ... Cable for a Shortwave Antenna -and- Want the greater ... Insulated Hoop-Up Wire or Antenna Wire from RadioShack; ... This Pipe should be about XX Inches Long. ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)
  • Re: antenna alternatives for isolated stays?
    ... the slightly out of phase, grounded stay, coupled current radiation, but you ... especially near the antenna. ... Make believe this is a sine wave which is impossible on my keyboard. ... Now, if we fit this wave on a wire, such as a backstay wire, you can see ...
    (rec.boats.electronics)
  • Re: antenna alternatives for isolated stays?
    ... Why would this antenna's radiation not be coupled to ground, ... especially near the antenna. ... Make believe this is a sine wave which is impossible on my keyboard. ... Now, if we fit this wave on a wire, such as a backstay wire, you can see ...
    (rec.boats.electronics)
  • Re: Why did this work (160m antenna)?
    ... Shorting the Coax at the shack end and feeding as a random wire ... CW-80: 50' underground coax, then about 45' of vertical coax to the ... Fed the center conductor of the shack end of the coax as a "random wire". ... the antenna tuner and made sure the shell was not connected to the tuner. ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.antenna)
  • Re: WHY - Bury Your Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Antennas Coax Cable Feed-in-Line ?
    ... Shortwave Radio Listening Antenna -a-la- John Doty ... Antenna Element and the Coax Cable feed-in-line. ... Horizontal Bare Wire Antenna with an Insulated Wire feed-in-line ... - Plus a Ground Rod at this Matching Transformer. ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)