Re: 1986 photo sold for $3.6M

On 2012-05-14 16:21:35 -0700, RichA <rander3127@xxxxxxxxx> said:

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/05/09/jeff-wall-dead-troops-say-3-6-million/

There are a few things to consider about this image.
First, it is not a photographic work of photo-journalism representing events as they were seen by the photographer. It is a work of art created with much photo-manipulation and staging. From that point of view it seems disingenuous to represent it purely as a photograph. It is a work of art where photography was a tool. It is not a photograph a traditional photographer would produce.

It is in fact a digitally manipulated montage produced in 1992, by photographing actors in the studio in individual poses, and then assembled from sections digitally. It is presented as a transparency in a lightbox. Although it appears realistic, it is a work of pure fiction.
In 2003 Susan Sontag referred to this image as "the opposite of a document". It is doubtful the outdoor scene was within 4,00 miles of Afghanistan.

Secondly it is not an 1986 photo, but an artistic depiction of a non-event. It was produced, in the literal sense, in 1992, with the title, "A Vision after an Ambush of a Red Army Patrol Near Moquor, Afghanistan, Winter 1986".

Here it is a little larger:
< http://db.tt/dhvCjYjJ >

--
Regards,

Savageduck

  • Re: New prints released at by the Fish Eye Guy
    ... a photographer, and a digital artist. ... paper etc for digital art with Danial Smith and Epson. ... objective - so I don't hold him to any standard of disclosure as to his "art." ... of this country's leading artists left conservators nightmares. ...
    (rec.outdoors.fishing.fly)
  • Re: New prints released at by the Fish Eye Guy
    ... a photographer, and a digital artist. ... paper etc for digital art with Danial Smith and Epson.. ... the extent to which disclosure and conservation go together. ... of this country's leading artists left conservators nightmares. ...
    (rec.outdoors.fishing.fly)
  • Re: Is there a way to lighten up a photo without expensive software?
    ... It isn't good enough to just repeatedly play with each tool to ... craft of producing fine art. ... I get the impression that you have in mind the photographer who who ... what matters is knowing what the adjustments do and when to use them. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)