Re: Advent Card Reader: No Win 98 Driver

On 2008-08-03 11:32:15 -0400, MIG <googlespam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

I got an Advent ADE-RDR01 all in one card reader, which is supposed to
work with Windows 98 according to the box.

There is no driver for Windows 98 and it doesn't seem to be possible
to find one anywhere.

The sale of these things seems to be a scam to get people to call a
£1.50 a minute phone line when they find that there is no driver for
the thing, and probably no help from there if you did.

Or am I missing something?
Windows 98 never natively supported USB 2.0. However, many manufactures made USB 2.0 drivers to interface with their USB 2.0 expansion cards. The drivers are specific to the USB exapnsion card. I suppose you get lucky and the WinME or 2000 Universal Drivers might work, but that would take some luck. Apparently some who have replied got lucky, So, you will need to hunt down the drivers for you specific USB 2.0 expansion card. If you have plugged the devices into a USB 1.x port, it won't work no matter what the driver unless the device supports both UBS 1.x and USB 2.x . If the USB 2.0 port is built into your computer (read: motherboard) then you will need to back to the manufacturer of the computer or motherboard.

--
jen ... not.. home...//// yahoo... com

  • Lacie Mobile Disk 250 GB USB 2.0 not recognized by my computer
    ... i bought a "Lacie Mobile Disk 250 GB USB 2.0 HI-speed", but it seems not recognized by my computer. ... 00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, ... Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd ... # Enable WiMAX to see the WiMAX drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: How to reinstall USB2 drivers in WinXP
    ... Windows XP Professional (with Service Pack 2, ... support site and downloading its proprietary drivers for the VAIO ... Canon LiDE 80 USB scanner didn't function even after I reinstalled its ... Windows reinstall the necessary drivers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How do I load a third party driver in Windows CE 6.0
    ... Host, not USB Function. ... I have been reading some of the documentation for USB drivers. ... and dll file to the windows directory and when I plug the USBto485 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: CONFIG_NUMA breaks hibernation on x86-32 with PAE
    ... do you get any serial log or USB key output, ... No good ideas - the bug description gives me the impression of memory ... # CPUFreq processor drivers ... # Device Drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: 2.6.16-mm1
    ... it's in cfq code so I first tried changing schedulers) on USB ... Kernel is built for athlon k8, but running in 32 bit mode. ... # Firmware Drivers ... # ACPI Support ...
    (Linux-Kernel)