Re: DSLR vs. P&S Smackdown -- the Answer

SMS wrote:
Douglas Johnson wrote:

I'd suggest that your average vacation and/or family
photographer will be very pleased with a modern P&S.

Apparently not as pleased as in the recent past. I was just in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, and I was stunned at the huge number of D-SLRs I saw compared to just a couple of years ago. I'd say that 30% of the cameras I saw being used were D-SLRs. I got to handle quite a few of them as groups would ask people to take pictures of them, and I think they felt more comfortable handing their D-SLR to someone that had one around their neck. Almost all of the D-SLRs were Canon and Nikon. I saw maybe three Pentax D-SLRs, but no Olympus or Sony models. Someone actually handed me a _film_ SLR, I had no idea any of those were still around. Can you even buy film anymore?

We came across some bears and people were taking pictures of them, and without a D-SLR and a long telephoto lens you could forget about it, as was the case with much of the wildlife (same thing in Alaska). There were people with $7000 Canon 500mm lenses, and my wife said, "you need one of those!" Actually I used the wide angle lens a lot more than the telephoto, since we had a group of 12 people that I often took pictures of. The EF-S 10-22 is a great lens.

Once someone uses a D-SLR, even on a vacation, they're hooked. The wide-angle and telephoto capability combined with the lack of shutter lag are big pluses in many situations. For kids, the P&S was still very much in evidence. They love taking videos.

Now it's true that the type of person that vacations in a National Park is very different than the type of person that goes to Walt Disney World or Maui, so the relatively high number of SLRs in use was almost certainly skewed by the location.

I walked through SF's Chinatown & North Beach the other day and noticed a lot of DSLRs, even an Oly.

I do with that Canon had a lens similar to the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

  • Re: DSLR vs. P&S Smackdown -- the Answer
    ... I was just in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, and I was stunned at the huge number of D-SLRs I saw compared to just a couple of years ago. ... Almost all of the D-SLRs were Canon and Nikon. ... We came across some bears and people were taking pictures of them, and without a D-SLR and a long telephoto lens you could forget about it, as was the case with much of the wildlife. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Sixteen Reasons to choose a Digital SLR over a Point and Shoot
    ... same price as an Olympus E420 with lens. ... I'm no big fan of Olympus D-SLRs, ... P&S cameras, and because sales of 4:3 are in the tank, the prices are ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Sixteen Reasons to choose a Digital SLR over a Point and Shoot
    ... same price as an Olympus E420 with lens. ... I'm no big fan of Olympus D-SLRs, when compared against other D-SLRs they fall far short, but by the same token they're much better than most P&S cameras, and because sales of 4:3 are in the tank, the prices are very reasonable. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: New Sigma lense, maybe good for portraits?
    ... Sigma is about to release a new prime 70 mm f 2.8 lens, a macro, ... that might be a wonderful "105 mm" on D-SLRs if it has nice bokeh. ... It might be a wonderful lens, but then again, I doubt they'd want to break ...
    (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)