Re: Advent Card Reader: No Win 98 Driver

On 7 Aug, 06:55, "Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au>
wrote:
"Mr. Strat" <r...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

Uh...you might want to upgrade to an operating system that's newer than
10 years old.

Even though I was sent (by an overseas friend) an unwanted copy of XP, I
resisted changing from W98SE for ages, mainly because I had old peripherals
(like a TV capture card and a Nikon LS1000 slide scanner) which do not have
drivers that are XP certified, or work at all. I finally 'bit the bullet'
last year, installed the OS and tweaked everything to match the colours,
fonts and layouts I was familiar with, and defaulted everything to 'Windows
Classic'. It looks pretty similar, but the thing that surprised me was there
were 'work-arounds' for all my defunct pieces. The LS1000 for example works
better under Vuescan than it did under the 'correct' Nikon interface. The
same with the Lifeview capture card, I used drivers from a much newer model,
undocumented by the makers.

The great thing about XP though is that it includes a hell of a lot of
generic drivers that allow you to 'plug n play' stuff that you had to
download to use under W98SE. SP2 even enables USB2 for you, and has a basic
firewall (something I did without for ages!)

OK, it's not perfect, and I'm not going near Vista until they can get their
electronic ducks in a row, but neither would I go back to 98...

Paul

On a new PC I'd only use XP (Pro) for the foreseeable, but my poor
little Pentium III won't handle it.

  • Re: Advent Card Reader: No Win 98 Driver
    ... resisted changing from W98SE for ages, mainly because I had old peripherals ... drivers that are XP certified, ... better under Vuescan than it did under the 'correct' Nikon interface. ... same with the Lifeview capture card, I used drivers from a much newer model, ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Insignia Digital Audio Player Doesnt Work
    ... Insignia 256 MB DAP Model IN-MP3256. ... find out that it was only needed for W98SE. ... the CD messed up the drivers. ... The Vendor support could only ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: IBM Lexmark 4039-10R Auto-Print Settings Workaround
    ... drivers from the Lexmark site do not work correctly with 10R on W98SE. ... The default W98SE drivers make no problems, but for 600dpi graphics mode you ... need to install the "Lexmark 4039 LaserPrinter Plus" driver, ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)
  • Re: W98SE, a model 90, and lack of hallucinogens
    ... SPOCK.MPD of W98SE is the SPOCK.SYS of NT4. ... I'm not very technical with my knowledge of Windows 98 drivers but I remember they ported part of NTKERN over to 98 to allow sharing of WDM device drivers. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)