Re: Canon 50mm 1.2L 'Protection' Filter?

"Frank" <me@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:5uedncaFOfW2nhnbRVnytgA@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I know this is going to sound like a really daft question, but I have just bought a Canon 50mm 1.2L and don't know what protection
filter to buy for it. There are so many!

I usually don't like using any protection on my lenses, as I want it to be as it left the factory, however looking at the front of
it, it looks like it has a stupid design that is going to be susceptible to dirt and moisture ingress.

Therefore, any recommendations on a decent 72mm filter to use to protect/seal the front of the lens that won't affect the image in
any way?

Ignore the advice directly above - most UV filters are colorless and
even if not, the AWB of the camera will compensate in digital, or
the printer will with film. Adding color casts to slides seems silly unless
there is a specific reason for doing so - and if you add it to one of
your lenses used for shooting slides, you would want to add it to all
of your lenses to keep good color matching among your lenses. Hoya
single-coated UV filters are an economical and high quality solution
(more expensive filters offer nothing of real value...) . A UV filter
offers good protection (especially if a proper lens shade is added)
for expensive glass, with none but "theoretical" downsides to its use...
--
David Ruether
d_ruether@xxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Filter advice needed
    ... I wouldn't know how to distinguish a good filter from a bad one. ... lenses are good enough while newbies tell me I'm fine with the ... excellent kit lens. ... The front element doesn't rotate. ...
    (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)
  • Re: Lens caps vs. UV filter?
    ... It's more common on digital to use a NC filter for protection. ... Though the large diameter/glass way out in front lenses do. ... Deep lens hoods also help to avoid damage/smears. ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: Protection Filter Recommendations For High Quality Lens?
    ... as my lenses were nothing special and so have used Hoya HMC's, ... however Canon have obviously spent a huge effort getting the lens ... filter is so different manufacturers often have different ideas. ... Sort of like the paint protection package they will offer you on a new car. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: macro lens hotspot - help!!
    ... In article, Colin D ... keep these lenses as they are otherwise wonderfully sharp. ... does film, and where film has a matt surface, the filter is glass. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: A Modest Proposal
    ... the color information is applied by overlaying a filter over the ... cameras only by lacking something. ... lenses, and for the system, being highly superior for their work. ... as one can see in the Prokudin-Gorskii photos (pre-WWI color photos ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)