Re: Does Rain Interfere with Autofocus?

Bill <bill@xxx> wrote in
news:3uqdnRUALbiBICTZnZ2dnUVZ_qudnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx:

Shawn Hirn wrote:

I shot a rugby game in heavy rain today and there are more
out-of-
focus shots than I'm used to getting. Does a strong rain
interfere with the auto focus?

Heavy rain can definitely affect the autofocus sensors -
autofocus is surprisingly simple, and the contrast from a heavy
rainfall can easily confuse it.

Why were you shooting sports in auto mode in any case?
Regardless how fast the auto-focus operates, the camera is
still behind the action.

Auto mode is not the best option, yes.

But I trust you're not advocating manual focus like this...

Your camera was probably focusing on the rain rather than the
intended scene. Next time, for sports photos, use manual
settings.

There is only one way to capture sports action, and that's with
a very fast autofocus system (Canon: ring USM/Nikon: AF-S) and
some anticipation from the photographer. Manual focus in sports
is about as useful as tits on a bull.

Just my opinion though...
:-)

Wow! I'm glad somebody seems to share my view. I was starting to
get paranoid. I've shot several different kinds of sports and the
auto-focus of the 20D has always been plenty fast to lock in on the
action. It was only the heavy rain that produced more out-of-focus
shots than I'm used to getting but, even then, it was nothing that I
can't live with. I can't imagine trying to use manual focus. Even
with the full-time ring focus on my 70-200L, I'd need three hands:
one hand on the zoom ring, one on the shutter release and one on the
focus ring. The only sport I've found where manual focus works OK is
auto road racing. The cars all follow the exact same track, so I
pre-focus on the spot where they'll be passing. I then use a
relatively slow shutter speed combined with a horizontal pan to give
some motion blur to the background. Other than this, all sports are
auto-focus for me :).

  • Re: Digital SLR
    ... I think I'm mostly going to shoot sports and action photos, ... I've been having a great time with old manual focus lenses which are abundant and affordable with super performance and incredible variety. ... Pentax or Sony is another way to go for vintage lens compatibility. ... For example, with sports photography, you won't be able to afford a long fast telephoto lens unless it's an old beat up manual focus version. ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: Yabadabadoo!
    ... but switching to an auto has led to an improvement in my back. ... *and* supportive, plus the suspension is compliant, but still useful. ... "sports" suspension pack, which is even worse (although the handling is ... Gratuitous B10 plug: ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: What is sports mode? Fuji 5200 equiv?
    ... would be good for sports photography. ... in more useful settings than the camera would have. ... It has an ISO AUTO setting. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Poker is not a sport
    ... horse & sailboat racing & have to disagree ... different from he above mentioned sports so I'm on the fence for them. ... > Nor is any form of auto, horse, sail boat, etc... ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: Night Sports Action Pictures? Blurry or Grainy?????
    ... Before the shutter is activated there is a focus time, which is, for the time being, much longer on P&S than on DSLRs. ... One can object that the contrast detection of the P&S is more precise than the phase detection of the DSLR, but people photographing sports will prefer an ever so slightly out of focus picture at the right time than a perfectly focused picture on which nothing happens. ... I'd love to see some poor schmuck trying to take action sports photos with a P&S set to manual focus. ...
    (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)