Re: Olympus E500

> Miriam Agron writes ...
>
>Would appreciate information regarding this camera. I've used
>nothing but film cameras in the past - nothing but Nikon.

If you still have good Nikon glass then I'd recommend buying a Nikon
dSLR since it will take these lenses.

> I would appreciate your comments regarding this camera.

Critics of the 4/3 concept point to two things ... 1) they are locked
in to a relatively small sensor compared to what Nikon and Canon have
available and while that may be OK today it's not clear if it will be a
fatal handicap as larger sensors become available cheaper for the 35 mm
based guys. Usually you expect a tradeoff in weight and bulk with a
smaller format but you don't get that with the current 4/3 models.

The second warning light is the big losses Oly posted last summer and
fall in the division that makes these cameras ... I think for the two
middle quarters they posted a 36 billion yen loss ... a big chunk of
that was one-time costs associated with the changeover from film to
digital and laying off several thousands workers but they are still
running (smaller) operating losses. Since the rest of the company is
profitable it's worth pondering how long Oly will continue to support
4/3 if it keeps losing money at this rate. And right now we're in the
boom phase as people are switching from film to digital ... if they
aren't making money now you wonder how they'll do when the digital
growth rate slows, as it inevitably will. If they turn this around and
are profitable that's a good sign for them, but if they keep on losing
money you'd think they'll drop 4/3 or sell it off (if they can find a
credible buyer).

If those two things don't concern you then it's a good buy :)

Bill

  • Re: For sale...
    ... Pentax M-ZM which had all the features I needed and could also do ... You were the one who brought up the nikon, ... comparing the lightest film slr against the heaviest digital slr is ... more capable camera, as well as one with a lot more metal than plastic. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: Newbie help: Canon EOS 350D vs. Nikon D70s
    ... I was collecting money for sometime to buy Nikon SLR and came to know ... While searching I came to know Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s are ... choosing the camera as I just have enthusiasm and no knowledge on this. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Closet Digital Shooters...Announcement:
    ... leave it to you Leica folks to care more about how the camera ... I am going to visit camera heaven tonight. ... > Nikon collection. ... I have ordered my film scanner and unless I get ...
    (rec.photo.equipment.35mm)
  • Re: Shopmade grinder with winch.
    ... And -- it uses lenses from the earlier film Nikon ... But any digital camera suffers from the problem that it is usually impossible to repair and refurbish faulty parts, so when the supply of spare parts dries up, you can no longer fix the camera. ... But if you take two cameras for which spares are no longer readily available, one a mechanical film camera and the other a digital camera, the mechanical film camera will always be easier to repair when something goes wrong. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Nikon to withdraw from film camera production
    ... My condolences are with Nikon film users today. ... The odd thing is that I *still* haven't bought a digital camera. ... > virtually put an end to the company's film camera production. ...
    (rec.photo.equipment.35mm)