Re: Question about zoom

> You could do exactly the same thing in Photoshop by cropping the
> original image (no digital zoom) and resampling the cropped image so it
> contains as many pixels as you desire

Normaly not "exactly the same thing" in terms o quality. Photoshop can use
sophisticated algorhythms (the power of the computer permit that), so PS
interpolation may result to better quality than the in camera interpolation.

The first thing I do in every compact that comes in my hands is to lock out
the digital zoom.
--
Dimitris M

  • Re: Question about zoom
    ... I was just wondering, I have an Olympus c170 and when I use digital zoom my pictures are cropped but are the same average size in memory, whereas when I use crop on my photo editor, the size of the image in memory is reduced, so is it really equivalent to crop or not? ... The camera resamples the image and uses interpolation to give you back the original number of pixels. ... But the added pixels are invented and do not increase the information content of the original image. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Question about zoom
    ... >>> higher quality than what you would get with digital zoom in the camera. ... >>> doubt the camera uses bicubic resampling. ... In Photoshop CS2 the Bicubic ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Question about zoom
    ... >>> higher quality than what you would get with digital zoom in the camera. ... >>> doubt the camera uses bicubic resampling. ... In Photoshop CS2 the Bicubic ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: How bad is digital zoom?
    ... > Most cameras have digital zoom. ... > Crop it and enlarge it in Photoshop, and the pic will be much better, they ... > Have you seen any comparisons on the web between digital zoom and Photoshop ...