Iris flowers and cats: toxicity?

I'm trying to find out whether the iris plant is dangerous for cats.
I'm talking about cut flowers in a vase, not flowers growing in the
ground or in a flower pot.

Does anyone here know the answer? I bought a small iris bunch
yesterday on impulse. I've never had any flowers or plants in my
apartment except cat grass. It was my birthday and I felt like
getting something small but special for myself. I was pretty sure I
remembered that they were safe for cats, but just in case, I put them
on a high shelf that the cats can't reach, until I had time to
research it and make sure.

Well. You have no idea how many different answers I've found on the
web. Some say the iris is poisonous. But what does that mean? Does it
mean a bit of indigestion, or death, or what? Others say it is only
mildly toxic. Some say it's only the bulb that's toxic (which
wouldn't be a problem, because I'm asking about *cut* flowers - no
bulb). Some say it's the bulb and the leaves. Some say it's the whole
plant. I don't know how reliable the information is, anyway.

I would prefer that people not respond with links, because (1)
chances are, I've already seen the site, and (2) it'll just be more
conflicting information and I'm already confused enough. So I thought
if I just asked people for their personal experiences, or experiences
that a friend had, or, if you're an expert on cat health, feel free
to impart info. Please be specific. If you know iris is toxic, please
say *how* toxic it is, and what it could do. And please say which
parts of the plant are toxic, and which parts are OK.

Thanks!
Joyce

--
Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico

  • Re: Iris flowers and cats: toxicity?
    ... I'm talking about cut flowers in a vase, ... remembered that they were safe for cats, but just in case, I put them ... parts of the plant are toxic, ... Now, as you know, there are various different species of lily. ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • Re: Iris flowers and cats: toxicity?
    ... I'm talking about cut flowers in a vase, ... apartment except cat grass. ... Some say the iris is poisonous. ... parts of the plant are toxic, ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • Re: Photos of climbing Pelargonium
    ... 1186128611.797680.299250@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Poole" ... shoot that produces some very fine, well streaked flowers and cry ... Who'dathought it of a little plant bred in a tiny Devon village originally! ... Monica must have been in her 80's when I first met her during the ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: quick advice please
    ... All I want to do is chuck in some bulbs at about a foot apart all ... the way around the outside so I have flowers and a nice bit of colour ... quick growing bulbs that I should plant now that will do my job. ... useful for cooking), geranium endressii (pink, self-seeds when happy), ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • The fall fairies are commencing to get serious.........
    ... are frothy with the thousands of white star flowers, ... plant stand I sat against them on the bricks was just enough support to hold ... under the edge of the black cherry gardens was a great idea. ... As I gaze out the bedroom window across the front beds, ...
    (rec.gardens)