Re: Iceland volcano -OT-

"Marina" <frankiennikki@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:831ud1Fs8nU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
bastXXXette@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Does anyone have a choice anyway? And I don't see any reason to wait
at the airport. The length of delays seems to be measured more in days
than in hours. Might as well go home, or back to your hotel, etc., to
wait it out.

Might not be so easy. Apparently all the hotels here in Helsini, at least, are fully booked. According to reports from the airport, they are looking after people there who are waiting it out.

Now some companies are test flying in the ash cloud; at least KLM, Lufthansa and British Airways have flown successfully. It's looking like they are going to lift the ban. I have a bad feeling about this, but maybe it will be alright.

I don't quite get why hotels would be overcrowded by the flying ban. Granted people can't leave that want to, but nobody else is arriving either. I might see why Italy and Spain, where flights might get out sooner would be crowded with people heading south looking for flights, but the number of people everywhere else should be pretty stable.

I have a bad feeling that the flights will resume and it will go OK, for a while. Only to have aircraft that are damaged fail later.

Jo

.