Re: Iceland volcano -OT-

Does anyone have a choice anyway? And I don't see any reason to wait
at the airport. The length of delays seems to be measured more in days
than in hours. Might as well go home, or back to your hotel, etc., to
wait it out.

Joyce

Christina Websell wrote:

Well, here's a choice
1. Fly through volcanic ash and die as your plane comes down
2. Wait getting irritated at the airport as there is a delay.

No brainer.
Tweed

"Granby" <spaz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
That was on TV the other night. The people that are getting mad because
they won't fly through and of that stuff just amaze me.
"Adrian" <anca@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
---MIKE--- wrote:
There was a reader's digest story many years ago about a 747 that flew
through volcanic ash and all four engines stopped. It had to glide
(over a mountain range) to reach a place to land. Also, the ash abraded
the windshield so it was almost impossible to see through it. The pilot
did manage to restart two of the engines. This was a true story.

I saw that plane on the ground at Heathrow Airport after that, I think it
was 1983, all the front widows were opaque and a lot of the paint was
stripped off. I really had to admire the pilot for landing safely.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

It is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same.
-- Unknown

  • Re: Iceland volcano -OT-
    ... Fly through volcanic ash and die as your plane comes down ... Wait getting irritated at the airport as there is a delay. ... I saw that plane on the ground at Heathrow Airport after that, ... I really had to admire the pilot for landing safely. ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • Re: Iceland volcano -OT-
    ... you may not have money for an extended hotel stay. ... Fly through volcanic ash and die as your plane comes down ... Wait getting irritated at the airport as there is a delay. ... I really had to admire the pilot for landing safely. ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • two pilots bust the TFR
    ... U.S. Secret Service ordered a small aircraft to land at Skyhaven ... Airport and had local police detain the pilot on Friday afternoon.... ... A U.S. military helicopter flew over the airport as the plane made its ...
    (rec.aviation.piloting)
  • Re: Crash at Crazy Creek (Middletown, CA
    ... According to news reports, a Pawnee and glider ... was reg out of Cotati and the pilot was married. ... flying his ASW 27 B was one of the pilots. ... lift had headed straight back to the airport. ...
    (rec.aviation.soaring)
  • Re: Extending new pilot comfort zone?
    ... and this is a fantastic book for a new pilot. ... range of the airport. ... or the destination airfield well within gliding distance. ... Offer to go on retrieves at a contest. ...
    (rec.aviation.soaring)