Re: Question for Linux users

"Neon John" <no@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:mep4n4lteuk90u6rc0dogmagr0hjbus3cf@xxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:44:59 -0700, "Bruce S" <bruce.snell@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Thanks for the info so far. My phone is a Motorola V360, and yes, right
now, that is the only way for me to connect. Well, I could drive the
couple
miles to my brother's house and use his wifi, but I suspect he doesn't
want
me hanging around all day every day, just to connect to the internet.
Again, thanks, every little bit helps.

Here are some things to look at

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/275780

http://www.motomodders.net/

http://moto4lin.sourceforge.net

The last one is what you want, I'm pretty sure. I found lots of
discussion about it working well with that phone.

Here is the Google search term that I used:

motorola V360 Linux modem Driver -windows

The "-windows" means "exclude windows" (man, is that a great thing to
do).

Here's what I recommend.

- Get a separate hard drive and install 8.04 Ubuntu from the Live CD
- Get to broadband or even dial-up and let the automatic updater run.
- Open the Synaptics Package Manager
(system->administrative->synaptics package manager)
- do a <ctrl-F> (find) and search for "moto4"
- When it finds the app, click on the checkmark box
- Accept the change and click on the green checkmark
- Let it download and install. No reboot necessary
- Disconnect from broadband and plug your phone in
- (I'm guessing from here on out because I don't have that phone)
- It should show up under system->administrative->network
- read the user guide at sourceforge. If it conflicts with this,
follow the guide.

I've tested this process up to the point of downloading and installing
the package and know that it works.

Linux abstracts the connection so that once it is configured, it just
happens. When my machine boots, the modem dials out and connects. It
stays connected until I use the network tool to manually disconnect. I
have to have two cheap-sh*t dial-up accounts to get enough "unlimited"
(sic) hours so that my machine can stay online continuously. I use #1
connection on odd days and #2 on even. therefore I have to manually
turn one off and turn the other on. If I didn't have to do that,
dial-up would be invisible to me other than being slow.

About Ubuntu. I'm not one of those Linux fanboys who treat Linux as a
religion. I'm skilled enough that I can get under the hood and work
at the system level if I have to but basically, I want to be a user
like I was on XP. Except when IT hosed up, of course. Had microsh*t
not gotten greedy and gone down the path they have (rental software is
in your future according to them), I would have probably remained
assimilated.

I've been thinking and planning and thinking and struggling to make
the decision for about 6 months. The Ubuntu live CD looked pretty
good. I knew that the full install would be a LOT better and it is.
Two things had to happen at once to finally kick me over top dead
center. One, my buddy Cliff sent me a distro disk of 8.04 and two, I
got some sort of malware on this machine that none of the virus
programs could even detect, much less get rid of. It took me a month
to figure out what was wrong with the machine and a day to do a repair
install to solve the problem.

(BTW, if you go to the Ubuntu site, do not go with 8.10. It is
majorly broken. I wasted a couple of days with it before I formatted
my drive and dropped back to 8.04 which is stable as a rock.)

That was the straw that broke the camel's back. If something like
that could slide in in spite of the safe computing that I practice
then things would only get worse in the future. Rather than half-ass
convert with dual boot (and suffer all the hassles that frequently
entails), I decided to go cold turkey.

I yanked the winders drive out of this laptop, put in a blank one,
fired off Ubuntu on the CD and commenced installing. It did not go
smoothly but it did go. The result of the hassles is that I've
started a daily blog about my conversion. See "The Linux Chronicles"
on my blog (http://www.johndearmond.com). It's about all that is in
the "computing category". I'm going to let you and others learn from
my mistakes and mis-steps.

I'm 3 days AB (after Bill) and I can't believe I waited that long. My
machine is at least twice as fast as it was, it hasn't and probably
won't crash, the major apps are as good or better than their winders
counterparts and almost all of my hardware was supported out of the
box. I had to retrieve drivers (a simple google search) only for my
Autigy USB sound "card" and my Canon Scanner.

Best of all, Ubuntu automagically mounts and uses NTFS formatted
drives so you can simply put your windows drive on a USB adapter and
have full access to it. Move your data over or not, your choice.

WINE continues to run every winders program that I toss at it. Once
WINE is installed, when you click on an .exe file (or use a desktop
launcher - the equiv of a shortcut), WINE automatically starts it in
the emulated winders environment. There is a drive_C and a \program
files directory and the entire Linux file system shows up as drive Z.

IMO, every day that you waste thinking about the decision is a day of
winders agony. Winders is like crabs - you don't know how much it was
annoying you until it's gone.

John

Bruce, John, I can only address parts of this. First, in my experience
Ubuntu 8.10 problems are mostly machine-specific - I have a couple of
machines that have had nothing but problems with it, although they were fine
with versions from 6 on, while three other machines had no problems -
although I only had 8.10 on them for a month before reverting back to 8.04
to keep uniformity in the herd. So 8.10 may run fine for Bruce. If it does,
the updated network manager applet makes using (cellular) wireless easy - I
installed 8.10 on a three year old Compaq laptop for a friend - the Windows
install was virus/junk laden to the point it took 5-6 minutes to boot up,
ran VERY slowly, and blue-screened often, and in his efforts to remove the
virii, he rendered it completely unbootable. And, of course, had neither
rescue/backup disks nor original install media. His connectivity was/is a
Verizon USB cell modem. Installed 8.10, let it find/install all updates
while connected to my DSL, then plugged in the cell modem - Ubuntu
recognized it immediately, no drivers needed. Just had to open the
'wireless' tab in network manager and create a new connection with dialing
and ID info - saved, rebooted, had a connection. Ubuntu had already
recognized and configured the built-in wifi, so the only connectivity he had
under Windows that he doesn't under Ubuntu is dialup - which he's not too
concerned about <g>. He likes Ubuntu a LOT better than what the laptop was
like under Windows - he's not a power user, so he's not pushing the
envelope, but thus far has had NO bugs, NO lockups, LOVES the myriad free
applications available (and the easy install thereof), and says
that -subjectively- the laptop is running twice as fast as under Windows,
and the battery lasts 20-30 minutes longer.
I'll be the first to admit that some of this may be due to the sorry
state of the Windows install he's comparing it to, but he's gone from 'well,
try installing Ubuntu - it can't be any worse than Windows' to a Ubuntu
convert.

Alan

  • Re: Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit installed along onto Pre-Installed Windows 8 System Woes (EFI related)
    ... Ubuntu 12.10 _64 bit_ on USB flahs will boot in UEFI mode on a sane ... it will install and run with Secure Boot ON - ... Manually edited the 40_custom file under the grub.d folder to add an entry for Windows 8 with the UUID of the Window's drives boot partition. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: OT Posting Problems
    ... can get back to real time discussion? ... drives are only about £30, and you'll still have the drive even if you don't ... like Ubuntu. ... You can install it yourself quite easily and quickly. ...
    (uk.rec.models.engineering)
  • Re: What files are required for Kvirc
    ... it stops at username and times out! ... during the sync phase of a connection (ie. a connection to the RADIUS ... (from Ubuntu), even tho I can hear it dialling and connecting. ... shane@shane-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install kvirc ...
    (comp.windows.x.kde)
  • Re: Second hard drive causing blue screen error
    ... the hard drives to boot from the one with the fresh install on it. ... And presumably the boot HDD was ... ATX12V power plug connection? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Formating Windows XP
    ... Go to a computer supply store and buy a kit that cleans CDs and drives. ... > updates sorted before i go on the net looking for other AV programs right? ... >> Enable the firewall on your dial-up connection before connecting. ... >>>> Install Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)