Re: Made the decision to go Full-Timing!

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 12:44:06 GMT, Greg Surratt <glsurratt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 20:27:14 -0500, Bob Giddings <bobg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I did just what you are planning, get rid of everything. Here's
my tip: Don't do that for a while. Store the good stuff. I
wish I had some of those 2000 books back. And my record
collection. Even my very expensive stereo system.

I've spent the last several months burning all the records to CDs.
Being deaf in one ear and not being able to hear out of the other, I
haven't got a lot invested in fancy stereo and video equipment.

I am interested in finding someplace that will give me what some of
the old records are worth though.

Unfortunately, they're not worth anything. I'm on the other end of
that transaction. I scout around for old vinyl to digitize for my
collection. Anything more than a buck an album and it just sits on
the table around here. More often is a buck or two for a box of
vinyl.

Three-4 years back the Chattanooga Public Library, in its infinite
wisdom (NOT), decided to liquidate their entire vinyl holdings at the
annual book sale. I got there early and offered them $100 for the
entire lot. They took it. It took two pickup truck loads to get it
all home. Many of the albums still had the shrink-wrap on them.
Including lots of real albums that contained 8-16 shellac records.
While that was a major score for me, that shows what value they placed
on the music.

This is an instance where there is a huge tradeoff between time and
effort and value. You could probably get some real money for a
collection in good condition if you took the time to sleazebay it or
something like that. But getting rid of the stuff rapidly is going to
mean giving it away.

All I'm saying is keep a few options open for a while, even if it
won't fit in the RV. It won't cost that much to store. Just the
core stuff, the best. The stuff you might like to have if you
ever decide to move back into a house.

We've pretty much decided most of our memories are not tied to the
physical stuff. It has been fun going through all this stuff and
remembering when, where and why we got some of it.

Yep. I recently bought a DVD camcorder (Hitachi GX3200a if anyone
cares) that accepts external audio and video. I've started
positioning the camera on a tripod arm looking over my shoulder as I
go through stuff. I have a wireless mic clipped to my shirt to that I
can chat about the stuff and have excellent voice quality. I try to
let the camera get a good enough view of the item, particularly
paperwork, that viewing it again in the future will trigger the same
memories. My only regret is that I didn't do this when my wife was
still here to help and share.

This camcorder burns directly to min-DVD. I've been using the DVD-RAM
option in the camera, then moving the video over to the computer,
combining the clips into DVD-length hunks and burning conventional
DVDs. I make 2 copies, one for the fire-proof safe and one for
viewing. This technique economizes on the still-fairly-expensive
mini-DVDs and still results in something that plays just fine in my
home DVD player.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

  • Re: What about HD Camcorders
    ... your video playback hardware does not ... AND store the downconverted DVD for playback NOW. ... I had presumed that this type of camera is a true HUD ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Google Groups outage.
    ... from the lowest-priced online store. ... Anyhow, that's just books. ... Online sales, like mail-order catalog sales before them, will ... I recently bought myself a new camera. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: BW Pics
    ... Maybe you should have bought a camera with face and smile ... some talent is required for a successful project. ... DOF would establish a relationship between the girl and the books. ... In each of the situations, I did not get everything I wantede, but I got ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Its dead, Jim.
    ... individual products does an Apple Store stock? ... three different different carriers, in four memory sizes each, iPad mini ... now let's look at what a camera store might carry. ... with nikon branded stuff like camera bags, lens pens, t-shirts, etc. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Whos Going to Fill the Tower Void???
    ... Except maybe opening a new book store. ... As for Steve de Mena's claim that books are cheaper at Amazon, ... In order to find a market large enough to ... that the internet displaces the brick and mortar store. ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)