Re: OT- help with ckt breaker on Craftsman table saw

"Mike Hendrix" <mikehendrix@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> My Craftsman table saw stopped working. I traced the problem to a
> bad/inoperative ckt breaker.
>
> When I called Sears they said they could order the part for
> me---$33.99. That ain't going to happen.
>
> Can some of you give me some advice on where to get a substitute ckt
> breaker?
>
> The ckt breaker had the following on it: CGJ30EB KLIXON
>
> The motor is 10-amps 60hz 1ph
>
> What about characteristics of this "button" type ckt
> breaker/protector? Should it be a "quick-pop"? What size? The motor
> is 10-amp should it be a 10-amp breaker?
>
> Written directions on the table saw say to operate it on a household
> 15-amp ckt.
>
> A replacement ckt breaker does not have to be the exact replacement I
> will jury rig a replacement if it is shaped different.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> mike

Mike,
It's not actually a 'circuit breaker', per se - it's a manual reset
thermal overload, and is matched by the manufacturer to the motor
characteristics (it will trip if the motor draws too much current for too
long, OR if the motor gets too hot). 33.99 isn't actually a bad price for
one. If you replace it with a plain circuit breaker or fuse, it needs to be
slow trip/slow blow - a motor rated at 10A probably draws more than
30A -briefly- while starting. If you size a quick trip/quick blow breaker or
fuse large enough that the motor will actually start, you'll lose any
protection for overloads.

Alan

  • Problem with campgrounds CK breaker popping
    ... breaker box to see if we had blown a ckt breaker. ... Of course the Parks office was closed but I found an "emergency" ... about 10-minutes later our power returned. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Problem with campgrounds CK breaker popping
    ... breaker box to see if we had blown a ckt breaker. ... Of course the Parks office was closed but I found an "emergency" ... about 10-minutes later our power returned. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Breaker blowing
    ... then one by one opening each junction in the basement on the ... disconnect the wire from the breaker again, ... popping the ckt breaker every time or it may really GO bad, ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Hot Tub Motor Rating for Amperage
    ... (This is the GFCI breaker that I asked about yesterday when I wanted ... the wall switch again and the tub powers up and runs fine. ... with what my friend believes is 10 gauge wire. ... On the tub motor there is one label that gives the voltage and ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Filter available?
    ... strong analogy between that and your washer motor reversing. ... If I were you I might measure the voltage at the breaker panel ... amps and the drop is 6 volts, and you have a 200 amp main breaker, it's ...
    (sci.engr.electrical.compliance)