Re: Dead keys on Edirol PCR-50

"Mogens V." <mogensv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:471776bf$0$21930$157c6196@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gareth Magennis wrote:
<mick.ohrberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1192244032.068653.324250@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have after some inactivity realized that most of the keys on my
Edirol PCR-50 are dead. I'm guessing it's due to the contact pads
oxidizing. I have carefully pried the rubber bellows off of the PCB,
and I assume the reason the two contact points inside the bellows are
at different depths are to capture velocity data.

(Please see http://www.ohrberg.org/PCR50/ for detail pictures)

How would I get my keys back? I have tried alcohol and scrubbing the
contact points (both on the PCB and the bellows), but to no avail. Do
I need to sand the contacts down a bit to get rid of oxidation? The
pattern of live/dead keys does not (to me) support the notion of a bad
line on the PCB.

Thanks!

/Mick

Its not usually the PCB contacts that go bad, its the contacts on the
rubber strips. You could try cleaning them with alcohol and a cotton
bud, or else you will need to buy some new ones.

I've heard some fixed them using an eraser rubber, probably doing it
gently. No mentioning which kind, i.e. eraser rubber for pensil or ink.

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

I wouldn't use anything at all abrasive on the PCB, there's simply no need
and every chance of wiping out the printed contact. You can't do any better
than degrease it with alcohol. Cleaning the rubber strips with alcohol can
sometimes work, but I never do that anymore because far too many have been
just a temporary fix and have come back in again a few months later. New
contacts are cheap and always solve the problem.

Sometimes the problem is actually due to small pieces of dust, tobacco etc
that finds its way under the rubbers.

Incidentally, you can buy liquid contact repair gunk that you paint on worn
contact strips. Its very expensive and doesn't work at all.

Gareth.

  • Re: Dead keys on Edirol PCR-50
    ... I have carefully pried the rubber bellows off of the PCB, ... Its not usually the PCB contacts that go bad, its the contacts on the rubber strips. ... Good to know Edirol contacts are cheap. ...
    (rec.music.makers.synth)
  • Re: Dead keys on Edirol PCR-50
    ... I have carefully pried the rubber bellows off of the PCB, ... Its not usually the PCB contacts that go bad, its the contacts on the rubber strips. ... Kind regards, ...
    (rec.music.makers.synth)
  • Re: Cant scroll back using mouse wheel
    ... I highly advise you not to use alcohol on rubber parts like this, ... That says only that isopropyl alcohol will attack some forms of rubber. ... rubber used in scroll balls and scroll wheels actually melts or gets ... Logitech Wheel mouse right this very minute whose scroll wheel rubber is ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Cant scroll back using mouse wheel
    ... I highly advise you not to use alcohol on rubber parts like this, ... Methyl alcohol, OTOH, could damage the rubber on some brands. ... rubber commonly used in scroll wheels and scroll balls in mouses. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Dead keys on Edirol PCR-50
    ... I have carefully pried the rubber bellows off of the PCB, ... Cleaning the rubber strips with ... Good to know Edirol contacts are cheap. ...
    (rec.music.makers.synth)