Re: how Retail works in American Music

Jack, Ventura has his head up his ass. First off, MAP is the price that
ALL dealers sell at and advertize at. No manufacturer has a deal to
stop cuthroat pricing. That would be a violation of FTC regulations.
MAP was initiated because of dealers like MF who directly try to put
independent dealrs out of business.

The cuthroat policies of Musician's Friend are well documented in ALL
the music trade publications. MF and CG compete with each other and
even GC stores will try to steal a sale from each other. Get a copy of
Music or Sound Retailer, Music Inc. and read first hand for yourself.
these are the publications read and followed by music retailers.

Regarding MAP. The lowest advertizable price is MAP. It is emplyed by
Hohner, Roland, Yamaha, Fender and every other major player.
Retailers DO NOT SET THEIR online price unless they want to price higer
than everyone else, which would be suicidal. Here, look for yourself.

Let's go shopping for a Peavey PR15N loudspeaker. Shall we?

Daddys Junky Music
http://daddys.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=peavey+pr15&x=5&y=2

Musician's Friend
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/live/navigation?q=peavey+pr15

Same Day Music
http://www.samedaymusic.com/prodsearch?form=prodsearch&q=peavey+pr15&submit.x=14&submit.y=9

zzounds
http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?form=prodsearch&q=peavey+pr15&submit.x=16&submit.y=10

Sweetwater Sound
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=peavey+pr15&tt=1&go=Go%21

Andy's Online Music
http://www.andysmusiconline.com/product_p/peavey_pr15.htm

Gear Tree
http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=7921576/

American Musical Supply
http://www.americanmusical.com/sort--s-peavey-pr15.html

CCI Sound
http://www.ccisound.com/StoreFront/StoreFront/PVY-PR15.prod

SouthShore Music
http://justplaymusic.com/os/product_info.php?cPath=54_201&products_id=11091&osCsid=6fcf6f0f7ea42f4287d348fa8ce8538a

Dealtime Music
http://www.dealtime.com/xFS?KW=peavey+pr15&FN=Musical+Instruments&FD=91705&x=18&y=13

Birmingham Vending
http://www.bhmvending.com/Amusements/Peavey/peavey_PRTM15.html

Do you notice a commonality? $199.99 is MAP. I challenge you or
anyone else to show me ONE SINGLE DEALER adtertizing the PR15 lower
that 199.99. Oh, a few might play pennies games, 199.95, 199.89, but
these dealers are so small and miniscule the manufacturers don't waste
a lot of resources policing them.

The Peavey PR15 lists for 299. IS sells for 199.99 UNIVERSALLY, and it
costs the dealer $150.00

Manufacturers claim that they don't give special pricing to the big
stores but they do, by way of volume discount. SO MF makes mroe on the
$199.99 sale than your local Mom-and-Pop store makes. Of course
jackoffs like Ventura are the first ones to ask the music store for
technical help after purchasing online.

While Ventura proceeds administering fellatio to the Musician's Friends
executives for making "good and healthy profits on him" independent
dealers are dropping like flies due to cuthroat pricing.

I still haven't heard Ventura explain why Musicians Friend is putting
music stores inside Best Buy and Costco: and in the same neighborhoods
as already established GC stores.

Nobody is arguing about the magnificence in size of MF. This discussion
was started to illustrate that dealers have no practical ability to
command healthy margins because the MAP is set by the manufacturer and
it is NOT a healthy margin.

The pity in all of this is that people will gladly hunt out cuthroat
prices and then run to the local dealer for support. MF is a great
place to buy gear, but it is doing to the Mom-and-Pop retailer what
Home Depot and Lowes have done to the local hardware store.

  • Re: how Retail works in American Music
    ... I thought you said that Peavey doesn't have the MAP ... I'm glad I live in nice backward Europe where all this price fixing ... ALL dealers sell at and advertize at. ... Music or Sound Retailer, Music Inc. and read first hand for yourself. ...
    (rec.music.makers.squeezebox)
  • Re: The bookselling racket (was: Collecting Dictionaries)
    ... >> This is what dealers in every area have always done. ... them to thrift stores. ... >> see if other dealers are selling it for $20. ... >preposterously unreasonable price for the item. ...
    (rec.collecting.books)
  • Re: whats that retail price acronym?
    ... I used to be able to post through Google Groups using my ... > You're probably thinking of MAP - Minimimum Advertised Price. ... > percent or two among dealers. ... The MAP thing seems to explain some of the radio ads I've heard (I ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Letter from a Dodge dealer
    ... More profit for dealers does not equate with more ... When you look at franchises that have closed in other market sectors ... Home depot closed 15 stores between May and June 2008 (first time it ... Unrealistically high price demands by sellers has slowed voluntary ...
    (rec.autos.makers.chrysler)
  • Re: how Retail works in American Music
    ... I NEVER said PEAVEY doesn't use MAP. ... and retail consultant my experience is first hand. ... EVERY US RETAILER advertizes and sells products at the MAP price. ... Center is about to put music stores inside Costco stores, ...
    (rec.music.makers.squeezebox)