Re: 175 INPUT JACK PROBLEM

Hehehe, I remember that problem...

There may be other ways but here's how I did it. No pictures but lots
of text and i realized that it probably took me just as much time to
write it down as it would now take me to perform the operation :-)

What you need:
- An old string (E or A-string)
- A piece of rope (or nylon string)
- A washer ring (bigger than the hole through the jack)
- A big pair of tweezers, like they sell in kitchen utensil stores (I
think they are called saute tweezers).
- Lots of patience.
Unfortunately you will probably have to remove one or two pickups to
have room to look and work inside the body. In order to do this you
will have to remove the strings and bridge. You may want to mark the
position of the bridge in a way that does not damage the surface of
the guitar.

1. Remove or loosen the strings as far as neccessary to remove the
bridge (it is only the string tension that keeps it into place on top
of the guitar so at some point it will fall off if you are not
careful).

2. When the string tension is gone and the bridge removed, the tail
end will drop on the guitar surface, so remember to put for example a
piece of cloth under it to protect the surface of the guitar.

3. Since the ball ends of the strings are only kept into place by the
string tension they will probably drop out of their slots by now. If
you want to avoid this, first put a strip of duct tape on the bottom
of the tail end where the slots are. .

4. Unscrew the (bridge) pickup by removing the four screws at the
corners of the pickup frame strings.

5. Lift the pickup from its hole. It is quite heavy and has lots of
sharp edges and screws on the bottom. Since it will be lying on the
top of the guitar hanging from its wire while you muddle around inside
the body, you will have to be extra careful not to scratch the surface
of the guitar. If you have a small cotton bag or something to put it
in that works best.

6. Now you have some room to look and work inside the body. You may
want to lower a small flashlight into the body, but remember to attach
a piece of string to it so it can be removed easily later on.

7. Take an old E-string or A-string. They make great tools for an
occasion such as this. Because of of the winding they are fairly rigid
so you can push and slide them through the hole in the body. You can
also bend the end a bit so you can work through corners easier by
rotating the string .

8. Thread the string through the hole in the body, ball end first.

9. Jiggle it around so it finds its way through the jack, using the
tweezers to guide them through.

10. Be careful not to let go of the end of the string still sticking
out of the guitar.

11. Fish out the ball end of the string.

12. Tie the rope to the ball end.

13. Gently pull the string back, leading the piece of rope through the
plug, until the rope comes out. .

14. Gently pull the rope until the washer reaches the plug from the
inside.

15. You are now able to move the plug towards the hole by pulling the
rope, guiding the plug and lining it up with the hole by moving both
ens of the string so the plug lines op with the hole.

16. Jiggle until the plug finds its way through the hole.

17. Put the end of the rope coming out of the plug hole through the
plug screw.

18. Slide the screw towards the plug

19. Turn the screw back on the plug just a few turns, but don't try to
fasten it completely.

20 Before you fasten it completely you will have to get a grip on the
wire end of the plug so it will not turn while you fasten the screw,
since that would proably snap the wires connected to it.

21. After you have fastened the screw, cut the piece of string coming
out of the plug and gently pull it out.

22. Take out the flashlight :-)

23. Re-attach the pickup, and be careful not to force the screws down
while turning them . They will have to find their way back in along
the original threads in the wood.

24. Put the bridge back on, turn the strings by giving every string a
couple of turns then going to a differnet string until they are in
tune. Don't spend toe much time on getting them perfectly tuned at
first because you will probably have to find the correct position of
the bridge (comparing the fretted notes on the 12th fret with the
harmonics on that position).

Good luck, and let me know how it worked out.

Leo

"gibsonjohn1@xxxxxxxxx" <gibsonjohn1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Help! My 18 month-old managed to remove the screw around the input
jack of my 175 AND POPPED THE JACK INSIDE THE GUITAR. How the hell do
I get it back in position (i.e., jutting out the hole so I can put the
screw back on)???? It is floating around somewhere near the hole, but
I have no idea how to get it back in place, at least not without
risking damage to the guitar.

Please send advice or links to pages with instructions.

Grateful in advance,
John

  • Re: 175 INPUT JACK PROBLEM
    ... An old string ... Lift the pickup from its hole. ... Gently pull the rope until the washer reaches the plug from the ... Slide the screw towards the plug ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Christmas lights
    ... I have replaced both fuses, ... Is there a real harm in just replacing the plug in with a ... Then never use it as the FIRST string. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: problems with a string breakage solution (rising the tailpiece)
    ... one broke because the screw was about 0.000001 bigger than the hole or ... > Try swapping your saddles for String Savers...it's another solution to the ... > string breakage problem ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: How to plug in a variable for BCMath?
    ... but I need to plug in a variable. ... BCMath for a fact! ... (the string dollar sign, vee, etc.), not the contents of $var as a string. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Variable range addresses for use in array functions
    ... plug into the next function. ... to return the string ... a leg up with this? ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)