Re: Cities you can make a living in playing jazz...

On Sep 7, 5:49 pm, "c...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <c...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sep 7, 12:27 pm, Mark Kleinhaut <markkleinh...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You mention having a family. I think that is a huge issue that's part
of this discussion. Frankly, I think having kids is a bigger
committment and bigger consumption of your time and psychic energy
than the day gig. I balance day gig and music careers but I don't
have any kids. I imagine if I had my entire balance, and therefore
priorities, would have come out totally different. I don't know why
people have kids- they're certainly not a necessity in life, but I
guess people say that about playing music too. Food, shelter and
affordable healthcare are really the things you can't do without. The
rest of it is what we get to choose.

Hi Mark,

As you and others on this NG who have known me though my posting for
12 years (yikes!) may know, my wife and I had a daughter a little over
three years ago. For a guy without kids you're amazingly astute on the
one hand. My daughter takes up a HUGE amount of time and psychic
energy. On the other hand, having her created a type of love that I
never experienced in any other way, one that is so powerful that it
aches sometimes, so your remark about "(kids are) certainly not a
necessity in life" is not something I can rationally comment on. We
just got back from an absolutely perfect day at the beach on South
Padre Island, and there's no joy more complete than hearing your kid
howl with laughter as a wave knocks her on her butt.

Myles,

My experience is you absolutely need to gig regularly good players to
get better, at least for a while. But, as many have stated there are
great players in just about any larger American city and some not so
large cities as well. I can highly recommend Minneapolis/St Paul;
there are lots of gigs to be had and a large pool of talented,
original, creative players to work with. Austin, TX is also a good
place to play although I got pretty burned out on it and left in 2000.
Since then a lot of new musicians have grown up and or moved there, so
you'd have a lot of inspiration. The only place I've lived where I
wasn't able top fit in and be a part of the scene was Seattle, and
that's why I left. OTOH, if I knew now what I didn't know then about
the music biz side of things it might have turned out different. You
have to knock on doors yourself no matter where you live.

Clay Moore

Well put: "created a love." Absolutely miraculous but true.

  • Re: Cities you can make a living in playing jazz...
    ... I think having kids is a bigger ... committment and bigger consumption of your time and psychic energy ... I balance day gig and music careers but I don't ... I imagine if I had my entire balance, ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: gig preparation
    ... well, it's not a life or death situation, it's basically a coffee house gig, ... Funny thing is, with the kids just out of school, my hopes ... that's the way the best playing happens. ... while you are experiencing the annoying latte machine ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Cities you can make a living in playing jazz...
    ... gigs can really deplete your time and energy for music. ... I think having kids is a bigger ... I balance day gig and music careers but I don't ... I imagine if I had my entire balance, ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: gbiehbsb.dll
    ... Only 5 gig free space on a 80 ... Again" to give to my clients whose kids infected their computers. ... welcome to print it out and give it to the parents of these kids. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Want to get into DIY.
    ... playing with an Avatar 2x12 which doesn't fit in my car. ... to take my wife's minivan to every gig. ... since the 3 kids don't fit in my car, so they have to stay home every ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)