news:1LUOo.5410$gM3.5407@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<persistent_offender@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ic5og6pds3ge3hsev68te2vl1ernegdbt1@xxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 11:34:22 +1000, "Tony Done" <tonydone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

"Mike Brown" <rockon02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:rockon02-728FCA.10293918122010@reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.
example.com...
In article <xJQOo.5179$MF5.1438@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Tony Done" <tonydone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"JD" <jdblackwell2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4d09bca6$0$19522$c3e8da3$2e0018d8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm looking for a 5 string Peavey Cirrus. I've found that the MIA
version
goes for about 3x what the offshore ones do. I never paid attention
where any of the ones I've played were built but I've never played
one
didn't like. Anybody know the difference?

You don't say where it is made, but at that price difference I'm
guessing
that you are talking about China. The difference in price is mostly
cheap
labour, economy of scale and cheaper hardware. My view is that a CNC
router
is the same anywhere, and that while hardware upgrades, especially
pickups,
may be necessary, the price difference is still very big. My best
sounding
electric (an OLP knockoff of a Music Man bari), after replacing the
pickups,
is also the cheapest. There is no doubt which way I would jump, unless
wanted US-made for some non-functional reason. - With which I also
have
no
argument.

Tony D

Some years ago one of my Grandsons bought a very attractive Les Paul
copy, I think that it was either a Samic or a Cort. Unfirtunately the
sound didn't live up to the looks.

I put a pair of DiMarzio pickups in with push pull switches (I don't
remember if I used single coil/humbucker or series parallel switching).

Any way, it turned the guitar into a killer. I reckon it would blow a
genuine LP into the weeds. Quite a variation of good sounds too, and
the
whole deal cost a lot less than an LP (not including my labour costs
#8^)

I've just thought,with my beard I should do that the other way up (8^#

MJRB

Although I don't mention it often in this group, one of my hobbies is
pickup
swapping in electric guitars. It is amazing what you can do with the
right
choice of pickups. The latest venture is a strat body with a good tele
neck
and two Tonerider P90 pickups. The major job was making the pickguard,
since
nothing that was readily available was suitable. Another good recent one
was
putting a series/parallel switch on a strat, so that the 2 and 4 selector
switch positions can be either series or parallel. It works so well that
I'm
never tempted to use the normal strat switching.

Tony D

You would be Mike Pugh's best mate if you were anywhere near Virginia.
He once described a Statocaster as a 'constructor kit'.

Pete

I can certainly empathise with that. All I have to do now is learn how to
play the damn things.

I also like amps, and I'm having not-so-idle thoughts about swapping my
Blues Deluxe for an Egnater Tweaker head. Lunch box size tube amp with
lots of nice little switches that you can flick to alter the tone.

Tony D

And if Mike is reading this thread, the very simple s/p switch diagram can
be found at Acme Guitar Works. It did, however, need a lot of cavity
shielding to reduce rf noise.

Tony D

Well, the Grandson is now in UK, and I'm very happy with my G&L ASAT as
it is (Bedford rewound the neck pickup for me).

MJRB

  • Re: Peavey basses
    ... You don't say where it is made, but at that price difference I'm guessing ... Tony D ... Lunch box size tube amp with lots of nice little switches that you can flick to alter the tone. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: Anyone tried this?
    ... Tony D ... switching of this kind unless the switch cavity was well-shielded. ... I'd like to see a REAL schematic, but it looks like you've got a 250k pot ... across one of the pickups, even when in series (like the "variable split ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Peavey basses
    ... You don't say where it is made, but at that price difference I'm ... Tony D ... I put a pair of DiMarzio pickups in with push pull switches (I don't ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: speakin a Hamers
    ... "Tony Done" wrote in message ... The big deal for me about P90s is the adjustable pole pieces, combined with a thick single coil tone. ... My one and only attempt at out-of phase was with strat pickups, and that put me off trying again ... one phase switch for each of two ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: OT: Split coil pickups for electric
    ... Tony Done wrote: ... possible advantage of the single coil option when using both pickups ... double-throw switch could be wired to ... simultaneously split a coil from each pickup and select both. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)