Eighth of January/Battle of New Orleans song

There was some discussion about this song in another thread that got
me interested so I looked up a few things about it. It looks like when
this song is sung it is called the "Battle of New Orleans" and
Instrumentals of the song are called "Eighth of January".

Battle of New Orleans lyrics

http://www.galafilm.com/1812/e/people/songs_battleneworleans.html

I think Johnny Horton had the first hit with this song.

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s version Of the one's I have heard, this
is the one I like the most.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=payfcPZjwuM&feature=related

"Eighth of January".

There are plenty of versions and lessons for this song on youtube but
they are mostly mandolin and fiddle.

This is Tony Rice's version. There's also a lot of his other
recordings on this page. Many of them are worth a listen.

http://www.ilike.com/artist/Tony+Rice/most_played_songs

A different take on “Eighth of January”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKhiDhENvA

David

  • Numbers have meaning, flavors, emotions...
    ... zero: ... Twelve days of Christmas Song. ... April 15th a dark day for American Taxpayers. ... Battle of Hastings, Norman Conquest of England... ...
    (sci.math.num-analysis)
  • Numbers have meaning, flavors, emotions... For Example: Everybody SING!
    ... zero: ... With the hit song Sounds of Silence... ... April 15th a dark day for American Taxpayers. ... Battle of Hastings, Norman Conquest of England... ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: New Top 10 Posted
    ... What song should do battle in next week's Grudge Match? ... Valerie Bertinelli Tribute - Wusty Boy....1 ...
    (rec.music.dementia)
  • Re: RADP Pavilion - 4th of July Posting
    ... The battle took place on the evening of December 30th, ... The Union Army regimental band struck ... 'Yankee Doodle' which was greeted by loud cheering from the union side. ... one of the bands struck up a sentimental song that was popular at the time. ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)
  • Re: RADP Pavilion - 4th of July Posting
    ... The battle took place on the evening of December 30th, ... The Union Army regimental band struck up ... 'Yankee Doodle' which was greeted by loud cheering from the union side. ... one of the bands struck up a sentimental song that was popular at the time. ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)