John Pearse is gone

John Pearse was one of the true geniuses I've had the great good
fortune to know. John died late last night at a medical facility near
his home in Besigheim, Germany. John left behind his wife Linda, his
adopted son, and his former wife and longtime business partner Mary
Faith Rhoads.

John Pearse was more than just a genius, more than just a charming
man, more than just a terrific musician - he was a true friend and
mentor to me and many others.

John had been ill for some time now, bedridden and in the hospital.
But he somehow rallied, time after time. It's still hard to believe
that he didn't quite rally this time around, he didn't make back from
the brink as he had before.

Logically, of course, I knew John's death had to happen sooner or
later. But emotionally it's as though I've been kicked in the solar
plexus, and can't quite recover my breath, or believe that it's really
happened...

I can't begin to tell you how often John made a difference in my life,
or how much I learned from him. Unless he was away from home, off
gallavanting at a trade show, I could always get him on the phone, and
we'd talk guitars and string alloys and delve endlessly into the
musical minutia that delighted us both.

John really enjoyed this newsgroup, by the way, though sometimes in
those phone calls he had some acerbic things to say about the behavior
on display! But he was always charitable, if not necessarily
diplomatic, and his good humor shone through everything he said and
did.

It was an honor and a privilege to have known him. It enriched my
life and my spirit simply to have been able to rely on him as a
friend.

When I have more details about the memorial services, I'll post them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Chugiak, Alaska
.