External sound card for laptop. Recommendations wanted!

External sound card for laptop. Recommendations wanted!

Application: Ripping vinyl records to .WAV and MP3. I have a good
(old) turntable. A good (new) RIAA equalized preamp and plugs to go
into a sound card. Works great on my desktop, but I want to use it
with my Dell/XP laptop. I tried it in the audio in (laptop sound card)
but it clipped or...? otherwise sounded like crap. No knobs to tune it
either. I'm looking for a moderately priced audio in (from the preamp)
to USB that and associated drivers. Two channels are all that are
necessary. A mic would be nice, but not req'd.

The main thing that I want to know is how to capture the best signal.
These are rare records (1950s jazz) and I'm going to sell them after I
rip them. The PolderbiTs software that I use has good pop and crackle
filters, but I need to rip at a DVD quality sampling rate for those
features to work well. I'll compress later.

Does a USB bus provide the bandwidth to achieve such a throughput? I'd
consider a USB turntable, but the one I have is probably better than
what I could get for the $40-$100 that I expect to pay for the audio/
USB converter (unless convinced otherwise :)

  • Re: USB audio interface question
    ... whether the Creative E-MU 0202 audio interface would do the trick? ... expensive that would allow The Maschine to run on a laptop? ... The Maschine uses a USB 2.0 interface, it doesn't plug into a sound ... I've never used a USB sound card for output so I can't ...
    (rec.music.gdead)
  • Re: External sound card for laptop. Recommendations wanted!
    ... A good RIAA equalized preamp and plugs to go ... I tried it in the audio in (laptop sound card) ... Does a USB bus provide the bandwidth to achieve such a throughput? ... That interface already has phono inputs with RIAA curve built ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: Wierd... My new USB speakers wont work....?
    ... What sound card does the HP laptop use and have you gotten ... The laptop runs fine but... ... it won't recognize usb ... I've tried 2 different type of speakers ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: decent sound card for laptop?
    ... Zoom recorders will work as USB soundcards as well as SD card recorders. ... If you want some sort of MIDI functionality, that's another GBP 20 or so ... you will find a laptop with the right firewire chipset, ... Are you saying that I can somehow make this the default output for sound file laptop playback through the Zoom connected with USB as opposed to the laptop's internal sound card? ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: real problems!!!!!!!!!!!
    ... > sound card. ... and also an ATI tv wonder USB for watching tv on my laptop. ...
    (alt.os.linux)