Re: I May Buy A New Guitar

Mike Brown wrote:
Bill wrote:
In message <377af4f3-593c-4cf2-b6b8-2739d5166f84@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Fran Guidry <fran.guidry@xxxxxxxxx> writes

Here's the one I keep clicking on:

http://www.woodsong.com/DavisMusic/steel_ausbl.htm

Looking at that headstock makes me wonder why does this type of guitar usually have that shape? It can't surely be good to have strings kink that way at the nut, or does it work like a locking nut on an electric?

"Are you sure Martin done it this way?"

Hardly a kink.

It is necessary to provide downward pressure to transmit the vibration (sound), and to keep the strings in the nut slots, which should be fairly shallow (most factory guitars have nut slots rhat are much too deep).

Both of the Martins that I have owned were built this way.

In fact just about every guitar that I have owned or even seen is built this way.

MJRB

What he said....American SPirit is to.

Larry

  • Re: advice requested: Martin Sigma guitar
    ... just haven't gotten around to guitar yet). ... Sigma was a low-end brand owned by C.F. Martin I had a Sigma SDR-28 ... Martin branded and built in North America, ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: moving little F chord question
    ... it's possible that the nut slots are cut too high. ... Expect the luthier to ask what string set you normally use on your guitar. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Groove depth on PRS nut?
    ... Same depth as the nut slots on any guitar, half the string size. ... flat surface. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: I May Buy A New Guitar
    ... "Are you sure Martin done it this way?" ... It is necessary to provide downward pressure to transmit the vibration, and to keep the strings in the nut slots, which should be fairly shallow. ... In fact just about every guitar that I have owned or even seen is built this way. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: Gibson Les Paul Standard tuning problem?
    ... have the guitar staying tuned, so it very often gets out of key... ... you need to file the nut slots so the strings don't ... wild on me through last years seasonal changes, but now is settled and solid. ...
    (alt.guitar)