Re: What tune for a group project?

"William D Clinger" <cesura17@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:83d8bdde-8f4b-4134-b608-98334638e74d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
betsey wrote:
we just need to bite the bullet, pay the copywrite fee or whatever and
do Born to Run--

That works when you're doing a CD, but isn't so easy
when you want to distribute over the World-Wide Web.

It's a long story, but a lot of the problem is that
US law governing so-called "mechanical licenses"
still assumes distribution on physical media.

To distribute over the web, SFAIK, you have to make
your own deal with the copyright owner(s), which isn't
easy even if you have the clout of Apple or Microsoft.
Even if we could make a deal with an individual owner
of copyright, we'd still have to convince the owners of
the web site to make an exception to their no-copyright
rules. Even if we do everything right, visitors to the
site might still assume we're cheating, which wouldn't
be good publicity for the project or newsgroup.

Public domain is definitely the way to go for this
project.

Will

I gave a link in this thread that connects to thousands of PD pieces.
Somebody pick one.

Bob

  • Re: What tune for a group project?
    ... do Born to Run-- ... Even if we could make a deal with an individual owner ... the web site to make an exception to their no-copyright ... Public domain is definitely the way to go for this ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: What tune for a group project?
    ... Even if we could make a deal with an individual owner ... the web site to make an exception to their no-copyright ... Public domain is definitely the way to go for this ... Born to Run as a classical arrangement. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: License questions
    ... You found a web site that doesn't appear to ... notion of voluntarily putting work into the public domain such that it's ... It does seem that, for UK law, Peter Fairbrother's "legal theory" is ... Apart from when reproducing members of the public's answers to ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Spoiler 31/10/2014
    ... agendas are in the public domain and accessible to everyone, very probably on a web site and in the local press. ... This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: APT processor
    ... >I should have mentioned that CAM-I was a keeper of public domain ... Not AFAIK ... >I just checked and they still have a web site. ... >original algorithms used in machining contoured, sculptured surfaces". ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)