A Psalm of Life - Shanta Apte/Duniya Na Mane/Kunku (1937)

Hi,

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)
A Psalm of Life

What the heart of the young man said to the Psalmist

[as sung by Smt. Shanta Apte in 'Duniya Na Mane'/'Kunku' -1937]

In the world's broad field of battle,
In the bivouac of Life,
Be not like dumb, driven cattle !
Be a hero in the strife !

Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate ;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait.

Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way ;
But to act, that each to-morrow
Find us farther than to-day.

Let us, then, be up ........(repeat)

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time ;

Footprints, that perhaps another,
Sailing o'er life's solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.

Let us, then, be up ........(repeat)

{concluded}
===============================

Full text of the poem

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)
A Psalm of Life

What the heart of the young man said to the Psalmist

TELL me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream ! â?"
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem.

Life is real ! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal ;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.

Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way ;
But to act, that each to-morrow
Find us farther than to-day.

Art is long, and Time is fleeting,
And our hearts, though stout and brave,
Still, like muffled drums, are beating
Funeral marches to the grave.

In the world's broad field of battle,
In the bivouac of Life,
Be not like dumb, driven cattle !
Be a hero in the strife !

Trust no Future, howe'er pleasant !
Let the dead Past bury its dead !
Act,â?" act in the living Present !
Heart within, and God o'erhead !

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time ;

Footprints, that perhaps another,
Sailing o'er life's solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.

Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate ;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait.

=======================================

Warm Regards
Arun

  • Re: Time Critical Information Withheld By Our Govt.!
    ... A Good Heart Condition. ... We urge those who wish to obtain Eternal Life in Christ's Kingdom to ... what they perceive to be truth. ... (All Scripture references are from the Holman Christian Standard ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Genuinely radical political commentary!
    ... Some thoughts on education ... I believe if "purpose" was placed at the heart of the curriculum, ... we must ask each child what they want out of life. ... the vast majority of today's super-powerful ...
    (talk.politics.misc)
  • Genuinely radical political commentary!
    ... Some thoughts on education ... I believe if "purpose" was placed at the heart of the curriculum, ... we must ask each child what they want out of life. ... the vast majority of today's super-powerful ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Re: confessions of a former feminist.......
    ... I cherished my heart and my feelings. ... from being unnecessarily hurt by men. ... We had a few good conversations about life, ... Feminism doesn't teach you much, if anything, deeper than a woman's own ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • 2 Peter 1:5-9
    ... we celebrate her life with immense joy and gratitude. ... 1877 founded the Institute of the Handmaids of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. ... where she worshipped the Lord of History in spirit and truth. ... Prayer Against the Seven Deadly Sins ...
    (alt.religion.christian)