Re: What If...

Personally I am convinced that the NSA did choose its targets in a
good-faith effort to find Al Qaeda associates--I am not convinced that
the FISA legislation applied to all the individuals whose
communications were intercepted--some may not have been "American
persons" as I understood the law to define covered individuals; the
problem is that the program was both secret and probably a form of data
mining--not only do we not know who the targets were but if the targets
were chosen via computer alogorithms, NSA personnel may not have known
the identities or citizenship status of individuals whose
communications were intercepted--information gained may have been
necessary to obtain before identities could even be established.

.