Leon Everette was right / Hurricane

It just dawned on me how prophetic Leon Everette was in 1981 - with his
hit "Hurricane".

If you remember -- the song is about a hurricane hitting New Orleans...

Here are the lyrics:

Thirty miles out in the Gulf Stream
I can hear those south winds moan
Bridges are lookin'lower
shrimp boats hurryin' home

The old man down the Quarter
slowly turns to me
Took another drink of whiskey
and he looked at me and said

I was born on the rain of the Ponchertrain
beneath that Louisianna Moon
Don't mind the strain of the hurricane
she comes round every June
And high black water she's the Devil's daughter
she's hard and she's cold and she's mean
nobody's taught her that it takes a lot of water to wash away New
Orleans

A man come down from Chicago
gonna set that levy right
He said it's got to be three feet higher
or it won't make it through the night

The Old Man down the the Quarter
said don't you listen to that boy
the water'll be down by morning
son, she'll be on her way to Illinois

I was born on the rain of the Ponchertrain
beneath that Louisianna Moon
Don't mind the strain of the hurricane
she comes round every June
And high black water she's the Devil's daughter
she's hard and she's cold and she's mean
Be we finally tought her that it takes a lot of water to wash away New
Orleans

  • NBC: New Orleans
    ... I found this article from a New Orleans paper while looking for information ... marked more than just the wake of Hurricane Georges. ... margin separating the city from mass destruction. ... foot of the top of the levees. ...
    (rec.music.artists.springsteen)
  • NYT: Breakdowns Marked Path From Hurricane to Anarchy
    ... Breakdowns Marked Path From Hurricane to Anarchy ... Ms. Blanco burst into the state's emergency center in Baton Rouge. ... They were an obvious linchpin for evacuating a city where nearly ... the crisis in New Orleans deepened because of a virtual ...
    (alt.politics.bush)
  • Leftises are so full of hate but the job is getting done
    ... completely ignoring the victims and the aftermath of Katrina. ... United States Government Response to the Aftermath of Hurricane ... * 11 top priority hospitals in the New Orleans area fully evacuated ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Re: OT:who is the worst pres of all time? FEMA employees have been directed not to become involved i
    ... Reporters Confront Leaders on Government's Response ... "News coverage of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina turned confrontational late ... bowl-shaped toxic waste dump that was once the city of New Orleans have stopped ... After a flood killed six people in ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Did New Orleans Catastrophe Have To Happen?
    ... Did New Orleans Catastrophe Have to Happen? ... direct hit from a hurricane. ... pressures of the war in Iraq, as well as homeland security -- coming at ... Levee Authority, and essentially begged for $2 million for urgent work ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)