Re: Andante CD Repair?

On Jan 17, 1:57 pm, weary flake <wearyfl...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
M forever <ms1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jan 16, 10:17 pm, weary flake <wearyfl...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
M forever <ms1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jan 16, 11:56 am, Jerry <GPGenn...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I frequently encounter Andante sets (both new and used) in which the
CDs are marred by bits of black paper adhering to the playing surface.

Has anyone made a successful attempt to remove this debris without
damaging the CD?

You can use Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol applied with a lint-free cloth
- no paper cloths as these contain wood fibers! - if ordinary water
and/or a mild detergent solution don't work.
But whatever chemicals you use, make sue you only wipe radially from
the center to the outside in a direct straight line. Never wipe the
CDs in a circular or spiral motion as that is how the data track runs.
If you make small radial scratches in the CD it is not a big problem
as they cross the track at a 90 degree angle and are unlikely to take
out more data than can be corrected by the error correction but if you
scratch a long series of data along the direction of the track, it
will start dropping out.

Makes sense, but I cleaned my andantes with record or cd cleaner
fluid, which, judging from the smell, the active ingredient is
a certain percentage of rubbing alcohol, and my fingernail, out of
impatience, but you can always be more careful than me.  I always
promptly open and check all newly acquired discs I get so I can do
a quick return if necessary to avoid some unhappy surprises in
future.  Andantes are prone to the glue and black paper stuck to
it on the shiny side.  I listen to newly acquired recordings with
nasty looking surfaces first; radial scratches have a tendency to
cause skipping, and certain types of scuffs make a disc unreadable.

Most of these fluids contain isopropyl alcohol and distilled water
along with some mild detergent and sometimes other esoteric fluids -
not surprisingly, in the world of audiophilia, some people have come
up with some rather exotic mixtures and they have claimed it does not
only clean the medium, but also improve its sound!
In the real world, it doesn't matter so much, especially with CDs, but
I would recommend to use Q tips rather your fingernails!

I have soft fingernails, and the Andante glue can be stuck on hard.

BTW,
sometimes if you have a scratch you can polish it out with toothpaste
because there is abrasive stuff in the toothpaste which can take off a
little bit of the protective transparent layer - generally not a good
idea but if done carefully, it can remove the scratch by "rubbing" it
out along with the surrounding area.

I'm not going to try "repairing" discs by abrasives again, re:
toothpaste, specially marketed "polishers", etc, I don't want
to ruin further a disc that's already messed up so I can be
left open to be accused of wrecking a disc before returning it.
I never tried resurfacing a disc, the stores that used to offer
the service said that their machines broke down before the
stores finally folded.

If there is a little smooth dip
in the surface it's less problematic than if there are scratches with
sharp edges which can deflect the laser.
If in doubt about a CD, I usually rip it with EAC. If there is damage
to the surface, it may take longer than actually playing it but you
will get a detailed log which tells you if the ripping was accurate or
if uncorrectable errors occurred. If the CD skips in the player, it
may still be possible to rip it without errors with a good drive and
EAC. I listen mostly from hard drives these days anyway, but with the
low cost of CD-Rs these days, it is just much less hassle and much
quicker to just burn the rip and play that instead of the original CD.
I only return the CD if it really is "beyond salvation".

EAC I don't have, and am curious about what it does, does it give
an objective report if a CD has uncorrectable errors?

Yes. Try it. It's free. It uses a number of different ways to correct
errors and verify the data. Which ways it uses depends on what the
drive can do. You an also set your own preferences. Plus it can
compare the checksum of the track to an online database which contains
information about accurately ripped tracks and gives you a
"confidence" level in addition to the error report and track quality.
The confidence level basically confirms that others have ripped this
track before with the exact same results. The track quality tells you
if there were any problems. The error report tells you where errors or
problems occurred so you can check the track at the right spot.
.