Re: Rostropovich/Richter LvB Cello Sonatas

Steve Emerson wrote:
In article <1149015731.590459.106010@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
wkasimer@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Paul Goldstein wrote:

Yes, it is surprising how wide a gap there is between the
reputation of these recordings and their actual musical content.
They are dull, so much so that if they are your first recordings of
the Beethoven sonatas, you will come away believing that the music
is at fault.

This describes, quite exactly, my personal experience with this set.

Thirded. I don't think it is at all without value, but it's a terrible
way to become familiar with the music.

It is well to remember that most continued interest in these recordings
(and there is a lot) is due to the audiophile stature of the LPs.

Only TWO of the five sonatas were recorded by Fine Sound.

The rest was recorded by Philips.

This release has NEVER been an audiophile target. Only the two sonatas
recorded by MLP were given that treatment and ONLY on LP.

In the meantime, the rest of the world just listened to the music.
These recordings have never been out of the catalogue. A bit like the
Callas Tosca, the Kleiber Beethoven 5 & 7, and Karajan Beethoven 9.
Truly deserving all of the GROC label.

TD

  • Pristine Classical release: Backhaus Beethoven Edition Vol. 1 - Sonatas 1-4, Decca 1952/3 re
    ... This week sees the start of a major new series at Pristine as we exhume, dust off and - finally - restore to the catalogue Wilhelm Backhaus's ground-breaking, and only complete, cycle of Beethoven Piano Sonatas. ... These early 1950s recordings, almost certainly the first complete LP set, were hailed in their day and remain something of a bone of contention today for collectors and music-lovers - a later, incomplete stereo re-recording led to the mono originals being dropped from the catalogue, and they've rarely been seen since outside of a pricey and hard-to-obtain Japanese issue. ... Sonically there's no doubt that the later recordings improved considerably over these early 50s mono versions, but there's much that can now be achieved in improving considerably the sound quality of these recordings, as well as correcting the "slight mechanical erraticisms of pitch and surface-hum" referred to in the review above. ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Pristine Classical release: Backhaus Beethoven Edition 2 - Sonatas 5-9
    ... This release follows last week's much-discussed Volume 1, Sonatas 1-4. ... Here is the second volume of our major new series at Pristine, as we exhume, dust off and - finally - restore to the catalogue Wilhelm Backhaus's ground-breaking, and only complete, cycle of Beethoven Piano Sonatas as part of our Backhaus Beethoven Edition for 2012. ... These early 1950s recordings, the first complete Beethoven sonata cycle on LP, were hailed in their day and remain something of a bone of contention today for collectors and music-lovers - a later, incomplete stereo re-recording led to the mono originals being dropped from the catalogue, and they've rarely been seen since outside of a pricey and hard-to-obtain Japanese issue. ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Re: Milanova Brahms download
    ... I don't have the recording with Frager. ... A Milanova recording I strongly recommend is the Russian ... First of all, many thanks to Charles for the Brahms Sonatas, most certainly worth ... she participated in two recordings of the ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Re: Barenboims Beethoven For All on Decca
    ... many people will defend that statement about Barenboim. ... see his recordings of the sonatas or symphonies recommended. ... recorded the Beethoven sonatas more than once and is still alive. ... Some of his recitals, I hear, have an air of sight reading. ...