Re: Scientists May Have Found Mozart's Skull

Curtis Croulet wrote:

Does Mozart have living descendants or relatives?

No. Both sons were childless as far as we know, although it can't be excluded that a certain Constanze whose death is mentioned in the correspondence between Mozart's older son Karl Thomas and his mother (Constanze Weber-Mozart-Nissen) was an illegitimate daughter of Karl Thomas. Mozart's younger son, Franz Xaver Wolfgang, on the other hand, was a lover of a certain noblewoman named Josephine Baroni-Cavalcabo, but there is even no gossip that there might have been illegitimate offsprings.

Older biographers accused Mozart himself of womanizing, but there is really no evidence of that, and even the most unreliable of them didn't claim there were any children from these supposed liaisons.

So it is almost certain that there are no descendants of Mozart.

As for relatives, Mozart's sister had three children: two daughters who died as child and teenager, resp., and a son who lived to adulthood, but there are no records of him having children.

Mozart's uncle however -- a brother of Leopold Mozart -- had descendants who lived, as I read, until WWII. I seem to recall reading that the last of these descendants, a woman, perished in a Nazi death camp, but I don't have a reliable reference for that.

That would be blood relatives; I don't know if his relatives by marriage had living descendants. Mozart's wife had three sisters and a brother who lived to adulthood, so there might have been some. (She had no children from her second marriage to Nissen, though.)

Moreover, through his father-in-law, Friedolin Weber, Mozart was related to Carl Maria [von] Weber. There are conflicting reports about the existence of living descendants in this branch of the family. And BTW, the "von" is fake: Weber's father or grandfather pretended to be a noble (apparently rather successfully).

-MM

  • "A Life Wasted;" parents of a dead Marine speak out
    ... Our son, Lance Cpl. ... two reactions to Augie's death have compounded the sadness. ... At times like this, people say, "He died a hero." ... because he went to Iraq. ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Muslim Misogyny
    ... so judge between us according to ... "My son was a laborer for this ... The Prophet addressed some man, ... next morning and stoned her to death. ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Re: BATFE Asks To See Your Guns?
    ... He tried to revive her and had his son call 911. ... No evidence of drugs anywhere in the house or in the wife's ... no reason for the death ever found in the autopsy. ... the warrant and the items to be found. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: Carta ejemplar
    ... it is clear you are becoming swept up in a cynical drama that is far a field from the meaning of the war and your son's sacrifice. ... The central issue is that when your son volunteered for military service, he placed himself upon an altar of sacrifice. ... Yet he gave himself willingly, as all our soldiers do in this generation, and his death is therefore the noble death of a hero and not the needlessly tragic death of one accidentally or foolishly taken ... He offered himself to his God and his nation in an act of devotion that has been repeated for centuries. ...
    (soc.culture.argentina)
  • Re: Carta ejemplar
    ... Stephen Mansfiedl escribio "La Fe del Soldado Americano" y tambien un ... in a cynical drama that is far a field from the meaning of the war and your ... The central issue is that when your son volunteered for military ... and his death is therefore the noble death ...
    (soc.culture.argentina)