The Names of Strings in the Carulli Method

I've been looking at the explanatory material in my Ricordi edition of
the Carulli guitar method and came across something I found
interesting - would love to know if anyone here can shed some light on
it.

The text is in Spanish and French.

The strings are all numbered as you'd expect, but the first string gets
its own name, "cantino" in Spanish, and "chanterelle" in French.

On the second page of the book, in a paragraph talking about which
fingers of the right hand one might use by default on which strings, the
first string is referred to as "cantino" in Spanish, but just the first
string in French.

So, what's up with "cantino" and "chanterelle?" I recognize the root as
meaning singing and that makes sense, the first string as the melody
string, if you will, but I'd appreciate knowing more about how this may
actually have been used in each of its respective languages and guitar
cultures of the time.

Is there an English edition of this method? If not, that would be fun
project to work on.

-S-

  • Re: Fingerings and Style
    ... "etude" that carries with it an injunction against any departure from ... and see if maybe that works better than the conventional fingering. ... second string and back. ... don't use the first string if you think its better not to. ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)
  • Re: to luthiers scordatura
    ... The problem you're facing is not find a first string that can be tuned ... was .33 mm that's more than half as thin as a typical first string... ... The oft encountered sneer about using fishing line for guitar strings ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)
  • Re: tinny high E string
    ... started low and went high up on the first string. ... This is a solid body guitar. ... In fact, when played without an amp, it seems to sound ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Best guitar youve ever owned?
    ... Robert Crim wrote: ... I'll be taking a 6 string Van de Geest and a Hippner 11 string guitar. ... The first string diameter on my Dresden 640mm is .57mm Savarez ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)
  • Re: Question about the C-Reference manual
    ... The commas separating arguments in a function call are *NOT* comma ... and there is *NOT* a sequence point between evaluation ... It could also just as well compare the first string against the ...
    (comp.lang.c.moderated)