Help Requested: Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Oil Leak

I'm new to this group, but not a usenet noob. I didn't see a FAQ posting,
so if I step on any toes with my question, I apologize in advance.

My 03 VN1600 has a steady oil leak, maybe a teaspoon every three or four
hours. I pulled the left side engine cover and and it looks like I'm
getting a drip forming at the bottom of the Clutch controller housing
beneath the bottom bolt near where the cable meets it. It's not clear that
the controller is the source of the leak, but if anyone has seen this and
has any suggestions I'd appreciate the advice.

Also, there are two plastic plugs on the Generator cover. I pulled the top
end plug and noted there was no oil in there. I pulled the center plug and
there was no oil at that level either. Is this lubed by the crankcase sump
or is this supposed to have some other lubricant in there? I can't find it
referenced in the owner's manual.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Dave

.