2003 flhtcui check engine light

Next round is on me; I need advice.

Seems to me this should be easy but I haven't figured it out yet. On the way back from Texas, I noticed the check engine light would come on for 4 or 5 seconds after the bike was started, and then go off and stay off.

I dimly remember reading somewhere that this means a "soft" error, that the computer has stored a trouble code but it's not urgent. I rode the bike the rest of the way home without incident and it's been in the garage until I could get to it.

Tonight I did some research on the proper way to fetch the error code. There is a common procedure on the net to hold the odo reset button in while turning on the ignition, but I believe that is for 05 or later -- it doesn't do the right thing on an 03. I also found a procedure to short spade 1 and 2 on the diagnostic connector to get the CE light to blink the error code, but they were talking about a 2000, and I'm reluctant to dick around with that unless I'm sure it's the right thing to do for my model and year.

I have the shop manual, but under "check engine light is on" it only refers me to an electrical diagnostic manual (with harley part number). I'll put that on order (sounds like a good thing to have) but in the meantime, does anyone know of the procedure to retrieve the trouble code for an 03? I could have the dealer do it, but I hear-tell they want to charge a half hour for the privilege, and I'm loath to part with cash for a simple thing I could do myself if I knew how.

Ron

  • Re: Next Saturday: anything planned?
    ... I've ridden a bike three times since lunchtime. ... <round of appluse> ... My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Race Report - Round Six - Cadwell Park, 9th October 2005
    ... The previous round at Brands Hatch had left me feeling very low, ... takes to race a bike. ... I didn't want a couple of the jobs I had been to interview for, ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Race Report 2006 - Round Four - Castle Combe, 10th-11th June 2006
    ... Castle Combe was the worst round of my season last year. ... with qualifying and Race One on Saturday with Race Two on Sunday. ... County Choppers as he had wanted to finish the paint off on the bike by ... Back in the paddock I did the usual check of tyres and a once-over to ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: My big fat Manx adventure (long)
    ... way round the top end of the TT circuit, packed in to a knackered Fiat ... I picked the bike up, got it started and rode it back ... If the latter, then it was 4~5 laps, if the former more like 5~6. ... Champ was faster than Keith though. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: looks a bit tricky
    ... you could manhandle the bike round the corners. ... (when doing DAS) ... The bike test was on different roads but I clearly remember as Ace described, ... I suppose you do initially countersteer on a push bike but to increase the turn ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)