Great MPG and some good places to stop

Rode the bike from Kansas City, through St. Louis, and on to north east Tennessee last week. (2005 Electra Glide, SE 203 cams, 68K miles on the clock.) Took mostly GON2L and avoided interstate at all cost. For a few hundred miles we cruised about 55 MPH + or - a few with the occasional pit stop and the seeing of a sight or two. Was pleasantly surprised with 48 MPG for that leg of the trip.

Stopped in Murphysboro, IL. It's a couple hours south-south east of St. Louis on HW 127. Ate at the 17th Street Bar and Grill for some of the best BBQ in the country...literally. The guy who owns/runs it has won all the major competitions around. Good little "hole in the wall" place. Nearly ate myself into a coma. It was worth it.

From there we went south on HW 127 to Alto Pass, IL. It's a wide spot in the road about 1/4 mile off of HW 127 on County HW 2. Stopped at a place called the Root Beer Saloon. The owner is a crusty biker who is full of interesting stories. The place is packed with about 150 stuffed ducks and dozens of Zuni guitars, all of which he stuffs and builds in a shop next door. Field and Stream magazine has highlighted his taxidermy skills, and according to him, he and Ted Nugent are negotiating a custom guitar. Far as I know you can't buy a beer there...just root beer. If you're in the area it's worth stopping in.

Left there and rode through Cairo, IL. What a shit-hole. It looks like it might have been a bustling city years ago, but not any more.

Andy aka Big Stinkie

.