Re: P-40 (Pica????)

Harry Kolomyjec wrote:
"Six_O'Clock_High" <Six_O'Clock_High@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ddydnd-Gqej4QZjUnZ2dnUVZ_sDinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Being a sucker, I recently acquired a P-40 that the seller claimed it was a Pica, but I don't recall them doing that particular bird unless it was many years ago. I missed out on their P-51 but did get the Spitfire. This bird seems to be all wood with plastic in the cowl area and guns only.

The bird appears to be in reasonably good shape except for some glaring problems with rudder/elevator movement conflicts and other controllability issues. Some dummy hot glued the servos in and used easy connectors on all the surfaces. I am in recovery mode and will fly this bird as soon as I am satisfied that all the decencies are corrected safely.

That being said, I need some information.

Where should the CG be and what should the control throws be?

If you have this kit hiding in the attic, please post answers for me. I can (and if necessary will ) use the TLAR method, but actual real values tend to be better.

TIA,

Jim Branaum
AMA 1428

Hi Jim,

If the wingspan of your P-40 is 71 1/4 inches, it's a1/6th scale Pica, the 1/5th is 86 inches.
I have the 1/6th kit and the following info is from that kit.
The root chord of the wing is 16 5/8, and the plans show the c/g at 3 3/32nd from the front.
The c/g shown is at the forward edge of the front spar's WEBBING, but you are allowed
a "safe" range of 3/8in either side of the c/g marking. Start at the c/g and adjust for your
flying habits.

Elevator - 1 to 1 1/2 in. each way.
Rudder - Full throw
Aileron - 3/4 to 1 in. each way.
Flaps - no more than 35 degrees.

Good luck,
Harry

And let us know how it goes, eh?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

  • Re: ANN coverage of the P-51 landing accident at OSH...
    ... You're right; my bird was lighter. ... The violent snap of the A at impact had to be a combination of control ... The thing I missed most was the "plop, plop, plop" of the Merlin at ... climb line roll set. ...
    (rec.aviation.piloting)
  • Re: P-40 (Pica????)
    ... but I don't recall them doing that particular bird unless it was many years ago. ... If it _gently_ recovers from the dive then the CG is probably about right for sport flying. ... Getting a long gentle recovery, or a straight dive, will give you a plane that can be snap-rolled or stalled at will. ... I try for medium control surface throws at first, and I try to adjust them for nice flight characteristics _after_ I've established a CG. ...
    (rec.models.rc.air)
  • Re: Some Bird Strikes
    ... Warner-Robbins must be the record-keepers for bird strikes. ... seat and took control (FWIW all our WSOs were taught to keep the ...
    (rec.aviation.military)
  • Re: Brid flu: good news
    ... The southeast-Asian cauldron in which H5N1 has been seething for years is teaching the rest of the world how to manage the bird side of the crisis. ... The situation in China is less clear, but China has established similar measures to limit bird infections, and has also invested in the human side by copying Tamiflu and building the ability to produce hundreds of millions of doses very quickly. ... In short, the BIRD side of this potentially devastating situation appears to be under control in the worst-hit of the Asian nations, and the HUMAN side might be quickly brought under control in the most populous nation on earth. ...
    (misc.news.internet.discuss)