Re: Floquil Airbrush Thinner

Froggy,

I'm not a chemist but there are several versions of the Solvent based
Floquil Railroad Colors paints.

Original (no longer produced) was xylene-toluene based. It would attack
and craze polystyrene unless a barrier coat was first applied. It had a
red ink label on it.

Next came the REV. 1 Floquil. It was styrene compatible so I assume
that it used milder solvents. It had a red ink label with REV.1
written on it.

Current Floquil is Similar to REV. 1 but it has a slightly different
odor. So, I again assume that they have changed the formula. And it is
no longer called REV.1. This one has a black/red label.

I'm not sure why anybody would not recommend the thinner specifically
produced by the manufacturer (Dio-Sol)? Why would Floquil sell a
thinner which is not optimal for their line of paints?

BTW, there were also multiple reincarnations of Dio-Sol. Original and
REV. 1 and I assume the "currernt REV. 1".

I've used all 3 versions and I thinned them for airbrushing using the
appropriate Dio-Sol. Never had any issues. I have also thinned them
with a plain Lacquer Thinner. Never had any issues either. But there
are many different "generic" lacquer Thinner formulas out there. I
checked that by reading the data sheets for several brands of Lacquer
Thinner. So, some of them might not be compatible with all Floquil
paints.

Once I thin paint for airbrushing I never return it to the unthinned
bottle.

And as far as the pigment precipitation goes, all my unthinned Floquil
paints do that if they sit for a while. The longer they sit the harder
it is to remix it back to usable state.

Peteski

  • Re: painting
    ... auto paint isn't available in any lacquer based paints. ... That leaves the solvent based paints just for our models, Floquil and ... Scalecoat is more of a semigloss so it doesn't need to be glossed up before ... thicker than the solvent based paints. ...
    (rec.models.railroad)
  • Re: Diosol?
    ... I have the "original" formula DIO-SOL in a 16 FL. ... without Floquil Barrier). ... Colors paints. ... Various versions of those labels described ...
    (rec.models.scale)
  • Diosol?
    ... Found an unopened can of Diosol in my stash. ... I use mostly laquer thinner for brush and airbrush cleaning and gallon cans ... name brand mini cans of thinner Testors, Aeromaster, Floquil but I ...
    (rec.models.scale)
  • Re: Painting advice (paints, brushes, etc)
    ... however have a bottle of Tamiya acrylic thinner. ... On to the paints, I have brought back ... water, similar coverage, etc. and readily available (Vallejo, Reaper, ... I have several GW brushes that I have used since '98 and they are still ...
    (rec.games.miniatures.warhammer)
  • Re: Cheap Mans Spray Booth
    ... possible that Testors is different - I'm not a paint chemist. ... By real lacquer I mean the stuff thinned with acetone or similar solvents, not the acrylic lacquer which is water-based. ... checking the back of the label - all the paints bottles say is "Contains petroleum distillates". ... But if you look at the airbrush thinner, it says "Flammable liquid and vapor. ...
    (rec.models.scale)