Re: Franz Swaty

"Marie" <sanchezeleven@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:6c114059-6e8f-4a05-9f01-ad8a01d49cee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Nov 18, 4:54 pm, Steve Kramer <st...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Marie wrote:
Hi, I'm new here. I found this group thu google.

Hi Marie, welcome to the group. Call me cynical, but if you used Google
to find this group, why didn't you use Google to find your answers? They
popped right up. But perhaps you just didn't think of it. That's
happened before to many of us. :o)

I was hoping someone

might be able to answers some questions I have about a stone I
recently purchased at an antique store. Its a dark brown, very smooth
stone. Its approx. 5" x 2". On the bottom front it says "FRANZ SWATY
MARBURG, AUSTRIA" It came in a soft type of pouch, that says "Smith
Patterson Co. 52 Summer St., Boston" I don't thing the two go
together, but I don't know. I really know nothing about shapening
stones, or hones. If anyone has any info or history, I would be
grateful for whatever you might be able to share.

Smith Paterson Co. of Boston was a well respected jewelery shop, selling
hand made clocks, watches, toiletries (shaving equip.) as well as fine
jewelery. Same sort of reputation as Tiffany's of New York. Franz Swaty
of Austria was a very prominent razor hone maker using artifical stones,
usually of 'hard Arkansas' grit, and were used with water only. No oil.
Most were a 'dark brown, very smooth stone.' Having one of these stones
in good condition is a rare find, a collector's piece, or a delight for
a straight razor user.

(By the way, I probably got the information from the same place you
did... even the line 'dark brown, very smooth stone.')

Steve Kramer
"PhotoEnvisions" Photography
Chiang Mai, Thailandhttp://www.photoenvisions.com

Thank you for the help. I should apologize for the mistake. It wasn't
google, but Ask.com that I searched. I did as you suggested, and
looked thru google. The results were a whole lot better. I haven't
looked thru all of the relsults yet. Do you know if you can use these
hones on pocket knives, switchblades, etc.? Other than straight
razors? I read somewhere last night that one guy had the same one I
have, but he chipped it very badly while sharpening a pocket knife.
Another guy said he sharpenes his cooking knives on it. . . Just
wondering, since some do and some don't, at least anymore.
Marie

Best keeping it for sharpening razors, which are a lot more delicate than
knives. I used a razor hone on one of my knives and gouged big chunks out
of it (the stone). You can get a cheap sharpening stone on ebay and use
that for knives. I reckon if you put your Franz Swaty stone on ebay, you
might make a decent profit too. :o)

  • Stone knives made by Native Americans in Texas
    ... I started writing about certain formal stone knives. ... first one I discussed was known as the Corner Tang knife. ... In one of the very early publications put out by the Texas ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • Re: What sharpening tools for carbon kitchen knives?
    ... There are three pins in each handle. ... knives, but knives that I will be able to use in the kitchen and not ... bench stone for a finer edge. ... I really like the idea of getting the sharpest edge I can. ...
    (rec.knives)
  • Re: Dishwasher death update
    ... put steak knives in there, but the serious kitchen stainless steel knives go ... the Beaglemaster lives to sharpen knives and has a wet stone, a dry stone, ...
    (alt.true-crime)
  • Re: Tormek evaluation
    ... The method for "grading" the wheel does not truly make the wheel fine ... I have had the Tormek for about 6 years and have not had a problem with the ... This process wears the stone down faster. ... approach to straight knives such as carving knives. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Let all who prate of Beauty hold their peace
    ... "heard her massive sandal set on stone" moment in my academic ... career, so I'm glad I did it that way. ... *google*. ...
    (soc.motss)