Re: What consitutes a legitimate knighthood

On Apr 1, 10:36 am, jsjo...@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
What I mean by "assumed arms" is a correlation; ie a parallel. You're
right, they are not connected. I use the two only to illustrate the
similarity in recognition.

Thinking about this, there must be many examples of UK armigers who
subsequently become members of "private" knighly orders. There is no
parallel there with assumed arms.

Lord St John Stevas wore his St Lazarus ribbon regularly to Opening of
Parliament ceremonies, as a Privy Counsellor, even before he was
ennobled. I suppose he has arms as a Life Peer. There is no
parallel there.

The Duke of Westminister is a member of St Lazarus. Again no
parallel.

I can give so many examples and I can also look to the SA Bureau of
Heraldry and Canadian Heraldic Authority for examples.

I think I see what you might be alluding to. This is where someone
assumes arms and also becaomes a member of a "private" knightly
order. I don't see this as a parallell event but a connected,
individual event. Someone becomes "knight" and then decides to
assume arms to display with the insignia of the order. This is
entirely an individual decision and the extent to which the person
decides to follow armorial conventions in some jurisdiction is a
matter of choice.

The Knights of St John and all the lower grades, a private raised
order of the 19th century granted a Royal Charter 1888 in the UK, are
granted their honours and dignity on the authority of Her Majesty the
Queen. A number of Knights of St Lazarus were granted a chief of
religeon for chivalric status and in addition the stlyle His
Excellency Chevalier, where appropriate and Chevalier Sir (the title
of Sir being for a Knighthood of Her Majesty). Incidently the valid
Orders of St John as one of the Great Orders have high prestige on the
continet of Europe, where they are recognised by various sovereign
States.
CMK Hillhouse

.