Re: What consitutes a legitimate knighthood

On Apr 1, 10:36 am, jsjo...@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
What I mean by "assumed arms" is a correlation; ie a parallel. You're
right, they are not connected. I use the two only to illustrate the
similarity in recognition.

Thinking about this, there must be many examples of UK armigers who
subsequently become members of "private" knighly orders. There is no
parallel there with assumed arms.

Lord St John Stevas wore his St Lazarus ribbon regularly to Opening of
Parliament ceremonies, as a Privy Counsellor, even before he was
ennobled. I suppose he has arms as a Life Peer. There is no
parallel there.

The Duke of Westminister is a member of St Lazarus. Again no
parallel.

I can give so many examples and I can also look to the SA Bureau of
Heraldry and Canadian Heraldic Authority for examples.

I think I see what you might be alluding to. This is where someone
assumes arms and also becaomes a member of a "private" knightly
order. I don't see this as a parallell event but a connected,
individual event. Someone becomes "knight" and then decides to
assume arms to display with the insignia of the order. This is
entirely an individual decision and the extent to which the person
decides to follow armorial conventions in some jurisdiction is a
matter of choice.

The Knights of St John and all the lower grades, a private raised
order of the 19th century granted a Royal Charter 1888 in the UK, are
granted their honours and dignity on the authority of Her Majesty the
Queen. A number of Knights of St Lazarus were granted a chief of
religeon for chivalric status and in addition the stlyle His
Excellency Chevalier, where appropriate and Chevalier Sir (the title
of Sir being for a Knighthood of Her Majesty). Incidently the valid
Orders of St John as one of the Great Orders have high prestige on the
continet of Europe, where they are recognised by various sovereign
States.
CMK Hillhouse

  • Re: BBC article: Face of Stirling Castle warrior reconstructed
    ... would be the English accounts for their garrison there. ... (ie. for x and a number of knights and men at arms). ... given the conclusions they had come to from from the osteology all they really needed would have been the list of knights. ... This is the modern Beeb producing dumbed-down programmes for the Twitter generation who are deemed incapable of following a thought that can't be expressed in the confines of an SMS or tweet. ...
    (soc.genealogy.medieval)
  • Re: The English Origins of the Hamilton Family
    ... knights against each other in mock battles on the tournament field. ... for one retinue to recognise its own side easily. ... which could be easily produced in fabric for banners and horse ... They were famous tourneyers and their arms were also the well- ...
    (rec.heraldry)
  • Re: What consitutes a legitimate knighthood
    ... they are either active knights or not... ... French Republic - these include specifically the SMOM, ... recognition thereof by another state. ... Such rank or precedence is usually ...
    (rec.heraldry)
  • Re: What consitutes a legitimate knighthood
    ... way that an organisation set up to protect certain medieval craftsmen ... Knighthood and chivalry - in the nostalgic sense of the Knights of the ... private body will not be recognized as such by a foreign sovereign. ... like there are two classes of arms: ...
    (rec.heraldry)