Re: 6.5 x 257 jap

On May 9, 5:46 am, "SpentBullet" <b...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
# "Casper Macgillivray" <FiShI...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
#
# news:fvvo9r$p20$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
# #i just picked up this gun at a yard sale its a 6.5 x 257 jap rifle i
# # dont know noting about it need o find ammo for it i was told i can only
# # get reloads for it and it needs a clip any info on this gun would be
# # alot of help thanks
#
# Be very sure you know that the rifle is .257.  You are well advised to take
# the piece to a gunsmith and have it checked both for caliber and head
# spacing. That could be the bore dimension (not all slug exactly the same).
# Many Type 38 Arisaka rifles (6.5mm Jap.) were converted to fire the .257
# Roberts cartridge.  If that is what you have, factory ammo is available for
# it.  Hornady and Federal Premium loads are afailable and if it's still in
# it's original chambering of 6.5 Jap there is also factory ammo available.
# Norma and Privi Partizan both make it and I believe Hornady does too.  In
# either case though be prepared to go into sticker shock.
#
# As for a 'clip', unless you actually have a 6.5 Carcano, you need no clip
# for the Jap.  The Jap has a mauser type 5 shot built in magazine with
# removable floor plate.  If this is what your missing, you should be able to
# get what you need through Gun Parts Corp.  There is another remote
# possibility and that is that you may have aquired a rather scarse 6.5 jap
# built on the carcano action.  The carcano action does use a clip to hold 5
# rounds of ammo and on the last shot falls out of the bottom of the action.
#
# SB
#
It wouldn't be .257 Roberts, but rather the .257 Roberts necked up to
6.5mm, which was the gun's original caliber. The originator of this
wildcat just ran a .257 Roberts reamer into the barrel of his Arisaka
and necked up the brass. Probably used a light charge of fast powder
and Cream of Wheat to do the job. I believe Ackley has this listed in
his book on wildcats. In any case, the O.P. isn't going to be using
off-the-shelf ammo for it. A chamber cast is going to be needed and a
set of custom dies made, I believe Huntington still does this. It'll
cost more than the gun is probably worth, but about the only way to
get it shooting without a whole lot of messing with dies the O.P.
doesn't have. The parent case of the Roberts is the 7x57, which may
be easier to get brass for these days.

I knew a guy that had one of these conversions, he used it on mule
deer, said it was accurate.

Stan

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory "Classic" AR-15 with Black Hills Ammo
while supporting our RKBA. Details at http://www.myguns.net

  • Re: 6.5 x 257 jap
    ... # dont know noting about it need o find ammo for it i was told i can only ... # get reloads for it and it needs a clip any info on this gun would be ... it's original chambering of 6.5 Jap there is also factory ammo available. ... As for a 'clip', unless you actually have a 6.5 Carcano, you need no clip ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: 6.5 x 257 jap
    ... #it and if has been rechamberd to a 257 roberts thats the ammo i need? ... to fit a cartridge case that WAS available, the 257 Roberts. ... get someone to make cu$tom reloads for you. ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: WARNING! WARNING! OT ........... guns!
    ... 06 ammo is about a dollar a round to 1.50 a round at current pricing. ... if once fired is worth a dime each. ... The jap ammo, if boxer primed and in good shape are worth about $1-2 ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • QRe: (OT:) New game for Repiublicans (and some Democrats...)
    ... I would also look for the largest clip I could ... don't forget an 8-year supply of ammo... ... Charles the Curmdgeon ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: CA reminder
    ... I can't buy ammo over the net in LA, ... "Ammunition" does not include ... blanks."If I read that correctly, a speed loader, clip or magazine could be ...
    (rec.guns)