Re: How does a Mauser action work

In article <fdvb7l$fak$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, brucedpaige@xxxxxxxxx
(brucedpaige@xxxxxxxxx) says...

# Back when I was moonlighting as a gunsmith I was employed to build
# some sporting rifles on Mauser actions. Since part of the modification
# consisted of forging the bolt handle I did some testing of the steel
# in the action and bolt to see whether it was heat treated. I found
# that the Argentine Mauser bolt and receiver tested equal to 1020 steel
# - a normal low/medium carbon steel that was not heat treated.

# On the other hand, the 308 we were chambering these conversions for
# did not develop pressures high enough to use a high strength receiver
# so for the purpose we were using them for the Mauser was plenty strong
# enough.

That Argentine action is a beauty, isn't it? The machining and finish
are outstanding. It doesn't surprise me that it will handle a .308.
Those locking lugs are pretty massive. Were you using the Modelo 1891

I have an 1891 Argentine Mauser with a 3-digit serial number and three
proof marks. Unfortunately, the Argentine crest has been buffed out.

For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Learn about rec.guns at
Win a Fulton Armory Tactical Titan .308 while defending liberty. The
MPFO summer rifle raffle is now under way at