Re: How does a Mauser action work

In article <fdvb7l$fak$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, brucedpaige@xxxxxxxxx
(brucedpaige@xxxxxxxxx) says...

# Back when I was moonlighting as a gunsmith I was employed to build
# some sporting rifles on Mauser actions. Since part of the modification
# consisted of forging the bolt handle I did some testing of the steel
# in the action and bolt to see whether it was heat treated. I found
# that the Argentine Mauser bolt and receiver tested equal to 1020 steel
# - a normal low/medium carbon steel that was not heat treated.

# On the other hand, the 308 we were chambering these conversions for
# did not develop pressures high enough to use a high strength receiver
# so for the purpose we were using them for the Mauser was plenty strong
# enough.

That Argentine action is a beauty, isn't it? The machining and finish
are outstanding. It doesn't surprise me that it will handle a .308.
Those locking lugs are pretty massive. Were you using the Modelo 1891
action?

I have an 1891 Argentine Mauser with a 3-digit serial number and three
proof marks. Unfortunately, the Argentine crest has been buffed out.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory Tactical Titan .308 while defending liberty. The
MPFO summer rifle raffle is now under way at http://www.myguns.net

  • Re: How does a Mauser action work
    ... ## Junk that modern plasticky and cast iron rifle and buy an older Mauser ... some sporting rifles on Mauser actions. ... consisted of forging the bolt handle I did some testing of the steel ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: 7.65 German Mauser ammo?
    ... # I guess I would like to know if there is any rounds that are close enough to ... called Argentine Mauser, but it is all 7.65x53.5 Mauser, and currently ... Win a Henry Lever Action .44 and protect your 2nd Amendment Rights too! ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: How does a Mauser action work
    ... # steel was not as good as a modern gun", I was saying that as THESE ... # And not all Mauser actions were made of the same steel either. ... So do modern guns, ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: How does a Mauser action work
    ... ## steel was not as good as a modern gun", I was saying that as THESE ... testing I felt that it was safe to forge the bolt handle and chamber ... #call these Manufactures of Mauser sporting actions as "getting it ... Rigby rifles were not built on the standard military Mauser 7X57 ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: How does a Mauser action work
    ... ## some sporting rifles on Mauser actions. ... #That Argentine action is a beauty, ... the Argentine crest has been buffed out. ...
    (rec.guns)