Re: Michigan Black Powder Laws

On Aug 6, 6:49 am, "Mark" <beemerm...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
# OK but why won't Cabelas sell me either a black powder rifle or air rifle
# without doing the check? They claim it's Michigan law. ALso they would not
# sell me an air pistol without mailing to an Ohio FFL (I live in Ohio)? Is
# the Cabelas in Dundee just full of it?

Possibly. A lot of stores get confused on gun laws too. Not sure in
Michigan itself so don't take this as specific advise, but most states
don't consider black powder guns legal firearms. Those that do are
the exception, not the rule. Heck a few years ago here in SC a Sams
Club had .50 cal muzzleloaders in those clamshell cases hanging on
racks in the isle just like you'd buy a toy action figure :). Pick
one up, go to the front cash register and pay for it as if it were a
gallon of milk. That's why I love my state :). My only worry on gun
laws is on the national level. ''

One quick question though: even if it WERE a firearm - do private
transactions need to go through an FFL? Again, the majority of states
seem to not concern themselves with private transactions. Here in SC
you basically are not supposed to sell to a KNOWN felon, "habitual
drunkard", minor, etc, but there is no record keeping required nor any
requirement for the government or a dealer to get involved at all.

Mike

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory Tactical Titan .308 while defending liberty. The
MPFO summer rifle raffle is now under way at http://www.myguns.net

  • Re: Speak out For Ronnie Barrett
    ... what the hell is "the armor-piercing rifle?" ... what do you mean by "armor?" ... Has there been a sudden surge in crimes being committed by means of AP whatever it is you want to ban? ... All restrictive firearms laws are based on the presumption of criminal intent by anyone who wishes to own a firearm. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: Barrett rifles in CA?
    ... loopholes in the laws here, ... Broadly correct about needing a place to shoot, tho a rifle range will ... There were a total of approx 500K firearms of all ... > As I understand the rules there now, you also can't own a gun unless you ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: paradigm shift wi/o a clutch was OT - "Out, damned spot! Out, I say!"
    ... >>>drugstores refuse to sell birth control to selected folks. ... >on state laws. ... >pharmacists in many states can't decide to whom they will dispense drugs. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: KY gun show abuses
    ... To clarify what herb has stated..you can purchase the longarm (rifle ... or shotgun) ONLY FROM a licensed dealer out of state, ... THAT is one of the most misunderstood and often broken laws. ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: Your Second Amendment
    ... I won't bore you with the whole long story, or my thought processes, but a few months ago, I had the possible opportunity to sell a derringer I don't want to a guy I met in the Falling Mormon's gun store. ... One of the points here is that the vast majority of gun control laws _don't_ work on the people they should be for, and _do_ work on the people they shouldn't be for. ... Read the real world news about shootings in schools, churches, restaurants, and public venues - gun-free zones. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)