2 1/2 inch 12 gauge shotgun shells

Does anybody know where I can find on the internet a supplier
of 2 1/2 inch 12 gauge shotgun shells from whom I can order just
some individual boxes of 25 shells each instead of a whole case
of 10 boxes?

I have found on the internet a supplier who will fill and ship
orders of 2 1/2 inch 12 gauge shotgun shells only in case lots of
10 boxes of 25 shells all of the same type of load. If I want to
order some 2 1/2 inch 12 gauge shotgun shells loaded with a different
shot size and/or total weight of shot and/or dram equivalent for
powder charge I would have to order them by case lots. The shells
are imported from the UK and they are manufactured by Eley. The
non-super-premium loads cost a little bit less than twice as much as
US manufactured 2 3/4 inch shells of similar quality, and then I would
have to pay extra for shipping and handling.

I need 2 1/2 inch 12 gauge shells for my Mauser shotgun which I acquired
on an internet auction. It was not designed to chamber shotgun shells of
the US "standard" length of 2 3/4 inches. I did not know that when I
bought it. As a matter of fact it absolutely will not chamber 2 3/4 inch
shells. A gunsmith who examined the gun told me that it was chambered
for 2 1/2 inch shells. He happened to have on hand a couple of old boxes
of the Eley brand 2 1/2 inch shells. He sold me one box. I have fired
a few of those shells in my Mauser shotgun. It is a conversion of a 98K
Mauser rifle done by a commercial manufacturer named GEHA in Germany
after WWI. It has a fully choked 30" barrel and a modified magazine
designed for holding and feeding only one shotgun round. The bolt face
has been modified by trimming it off and fitting a special piece onto the
front of the bolt assembly to adapt it for firing shotgun shells. The
action works fine and the gun shoots a very nice and tight pattern
centered at point of aim.

I have a few general questions about 2 1/2 inch 12 gauge shells.

I understand that they were once the "standard" length of shells for 12
gauge shotguns manufactured in Europe. Were they ever at any time in
history the "standard" length for 12 gauge shotguns manufactured in the
US?

When did 2 3/4 inch shotgun shells become the "standard" length shell for
12 gauge shotguns manufactured in the US?

Are European shotgun manufacturers still making 12 gauge shotguns
chambered for 2 1/2 inch shells?

Sam Heywood
--
NTReader v0.32w(O)/Beta (Registered) in conjunction with Net-Tamer.

Win a Fulton Armory AR-15 rifle and protect your 2nd Amendment Rights too!
See details at http://www.myguns.net to support MPFO!
Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net