Re: Mosin-Nagant Finn M39's-cheap source of pre 1898 dates

On 2005-12-21, RD <richardavis2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
# Receiver was left behind after the Finns booted the Russians out of Finland
# circa 1917. Most or all of the Finn Mosins are built on pre-1917 Russian
# receivers.

Do note that during the war it wasn't uncommon to grab a later Soviet
bolt, though - they were a bit looser and therefore more reliable when
filled with sand, ice or snow.

# If the Finns ever made a Mosin receiver, I'm not aware of it.

No receivers, nor whole bolts. Everything else was made at some point though.

# Most Finn rifles will have receiver dates before 1917-1918, barrel date can
# be as recent as 1970.

Make that barrel dates as recent as 1990 but it'll be a while until the
m/85 sniper version is surplussed (yes, a service Mosin-Nagant variant
adopted by the Finnish army in 1985 - all but the receiver and most of
the bolt redesigned, though the magazine is still recognizable too).

The m/85 doesn't look or feel like a Mosin-Nagant at all, what with the
adjustable stock, adjustable trigger, heavy free-floating barrel, no
iron sights at all but a big scope usually made by Zeiss...

--
Mikko Nahkola <mnahkola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
#include <disclaimer.h>

Win a Fulton Armory AR-15 rifle and protect your 2nd Amendment Rights too!
See details at http://www.myguns.net to support MPFO!
Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net

  • Re: Ruger 10/22 Mod Question
    ... # allow a cleaning rod to be pushed through the barrel from the breech ... I've drilled the back of the receiver in two 10/22s. ... 5/16 and close to true with the bore, your cleaning rod will cause ... Carefully, mount the receiver in a drill press (better yet, a milling ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: Machining of barrel and receiver as one unit
    ... # In descriptions of benchrest rifles much is made of their stiffness, ... # yet the barrel and receiver are still machined as two separate units ... from a machining or a metallurgical standpoint. ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: Machining of barrel and receiver as one unit
    ... ## yet the barrel and receiver are still machined as two separate units ... instead of lugs. ... My guess that there would be insufficient stiffness in the shaft of ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: Project Mauser
    ... DO NOT attempt to remove the barrel by heating the receiver. ... The problem is that a Turkish mauser has the ... #I secured the receiver in a bench vise, with thin padding to prevent marring ...
    (rec.guns)