Re: "Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acids": Safe ?

In article <hqt7aa$9v2$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"David Hare-Scott" <secret@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Lawn is in reasonable shape, but areas of Moss. Live in New England.

Bought a container of a liquid Moss killer (goes on hose end)that has
as it's (only) active ingredient something called:
Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid".

Question: Is it safe if some of the spray gets on healthy grass ?

I would think so but see qualifications further on. It is a kind of soap.
The potassium (in moderation) is a nutrient and the fatty acid part will
biodegrade. Not knowing much about moss I am unsure how it works. This is
only a guess: that it is a way to quickly raise the pH by applying a soluble
substance that is alkaline. In which case don't overdo it and be careful
applying it with limestone as well.

And would also like to ask:

Soil, via a ph test, showed that it is quite acidic.
If I put down the limestone granules, is this also safe on healthy
grass ?

Yes provided that you do not raise the pH above the level that the grass
will grow well in. The assumption with this treatment is that a pH region
exists that is unfavourable to the moss and still favourable to the grass.
What do you mean by quite acid?

Any caveats to it's use, etc. ?

Thanks,
B.

Limestone granules will take some time to work, some months depending on the
size of the granules which influences how fast they dissolve. Don't be
impatient and repeat the dose too soon.

David

When I was looking at correcting lawn pH (6.5- 7.2), the talk was all
about lime. Not once did I see "Potassium Soaps".
--
- Billy

  • Re: Laying Sod Organically
    ... Barring that tilling (because moss indicates poor drainage/compaction) ... If you want to try rennovating the old grass, dependant on what type of lawn ... A google search for compost tea will tield ...
    (rec.gardens)
  • Re: Replanting Grass
    ... The moss has taken over most of our lawn, and so I would like to ... I will lift the moss or old grass off the ground and put ... layer of soil and plant the new grass over top. ...
    (rec.gardens)
  • Re: Moss and ferrous sulphate
    ... the grass cuttings since I run the heap so hot that most domestic weedkillers are not persistent by the time the heap has rotted down. ... The blackening of moss is specific to the odd chlorophyll found in lower plants and is unlikely to cause any bother at all. ... You can make it go a lot further by cutting it with ammonium sulphate to boost the grass and sand to dilute it. ... Classic lawn sand. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Killing moss in lawn.
    ... I've got a lot of lawn and a lot of moss. ... Other possible causes are poor feeding (if the grass is a very light ... preferably when the soil is moist on a damp day. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Moss to Meadow?
    ... grass which not only requires a lot of water to survive, but, more ... Subject: Moss to Meadow? ... My lawn is heavily infested with moss. ... been suggested to me that I should turn it into a wild flower meadow as ...
    (rec.gardens)